What's new

[RT-AC86U] Potentially broken, wish to try and fix it before I send it back.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rikorage

New Around Here
So, I just got one of these, and I liked what it has to offer overall, except, after about 24 hours on, I go to work and my roommate tells me that he no longer has WiFi, and when I get home, I notice that it constantly restarts and cannot stay on.

I boiled down the issue to be firmware related, as it seems to have no issue running in the Recovery mode, except I haven't been successful in pushing an earlier firmware version using the older tools I've found online.

Does anyone have any way for me to push an older version of firmware and see if that fixes my issue? I don't want to send it back after just getting it, and how long it took for it to be in stock. I called ASUS support and they were no help, if anyone was curious about it.

So, I guess the router doesn't need a secondary program installed, as I was able to upload a firmware to it after looking at the guide about clearing the NVRAM, then set the IP to the 192.168.1.10 on my computer, and it gave me the page that let me do it when I typed in the gateway IP. It let me upload it and it restarted, but the issue has not changed, it still stays on for a few seconds and then it restarts (at least that's what I think it's doing, it just stays on for about 15 seconds then kills the lights starting with the activity lights and then the power light).

Anyone have any suggestions before I decide to send this back? I'm hoping my experiences here may help create a solution for future users, myself included, to attempt to resolve the issues ourselves before sending it back to ASUS.

Edit: Posting the webpage I get after doing the NVRAM reset step in my browser.
NVRAM restart.png

Last edited:
Don't mean to bump an old thread, but was just curious if anyone has or had an issue like this, or if anyone has any idea what they would have done in this situation.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!