What's new

RT-AC86U Question / Strangeness

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lims01

New Around Here
I will break this into two parts, the problem and the detail, that way I dont waste anyones time... I am using Merlin 384.7_2 and this problem occurs in stock as well as Merlin's firmware.

Setup
I have a subnet mask of 255.255.252.0 and basically use the IP range of 192.168.0.x through 192.168.3.x , my DHCP addresses are served in the 192.168.0.x subnet and the IP address of the RT is set for 192.168.0.1.

Problem
Pretty straight forward; when i click client list to see all the connected clients in the web gui it only reports the clients on the subnet that the RT-86 is set to (in this case 192.168.0.x.) Is there a way to be able to see the other ones connected to 1.x, 2.x and 3.x?

Details
I have tested this by assigning static Ip addresses in all subnets and the same computer only gets seen in the list when its in the same subnet as the lan port on the RT is set to. I have tried moving the RT's LAN port address to another subnet (i.e. 3.x) and then it will report the clients on that subnet only. I can communicate between all the subnets fine so I know it isnt an issue there.
From an equipment standpoint, all the other PC's are behind a DELL 6248 switch that isnt using its Layer 3 settings and was previously working with an older Tomato build (so i am pretty sure its not the switch causing this.) Maybe i am missing something?

Anyway, sorry for the long read, just scratching my head and before wasting another 8 hours I was hoping someone could point out my boneheaded mistake :)

This is a known limitation of the Network Map code. It only works with /24 networks. As stated many times in these forums this is something only Asus can fix as that part of the code is now closed-source.

This is a known limitation of the Network Map code. It only works with /24 networks. As stated many times in these forums this is something only Asus can fix as that part of the code is now closed-source.

Oh ok, no problem i can work around it using Domotz i guess. I appreciate the fast response!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!