What's new

RT-AC86U reboot looping w/slot #1 5G guest network enabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jrhjr

New Around Here
Question
I have an RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.1_2 and I am wondering if anyone else is having problems or if there are any known problems relating to Wi-Fi when the guest network is enabled in slot #1 (leftmost) - particularly the 5G guest slot? I know that during the stock 386 beta testing there were all kinds of problems with slot #1 so I am suspecting there might be?

Background
Right now - if I enable my slot #1 5G guest network, my router goes into a reboot loop. This is the culmination of weeks of problems beginning when I upgraded to 386.*. At first it was infrequent disconnects that were easy to blame on the cheap IoT devices but after a while it got more frequent and effected more devices (though it seemed it was only 2G devices, although that's really the bulk of what I have). Reboots help - for like 12 hours. A few weeks ago the first reboot loop happened after making a minor change (I don't recall what) - I had to factory reset to get back up. After a couple weeks of more frequent disconnects - finally another reboot loop happened Friday night after I initiated a reboot to fix these ongoing issues. I lost faith and replaced the 86U with an old RT-AC68U that had been a secondary AiMesh node but that I promoted to be my primary. Things were flawless over the weekend including an XT8 joined as a secondary AiMesh node - and yes - a 2G and 5G enabled guest network with all the clients reliably connected and no issues.

Meanwhile over the weekend I booted the troubled 86U with no network cables or antennas (that I purposely hadn't factory reset so that I could troubleshoot with) and it magically seemed stable... so I went to swap it back in tonight as my primary and instantly upon reconnecting the cables and antennas the reboot loop ensued. I factory reset - again - and all was well again -- until I enabled the 5G Guest network on slot #1 and then the reboot loop happened again. I managed to get in there to disable the guest networks and it stabilized - then I went back to it an hour later, enabling the guest network on slot #2 - and I maintained stability. Oddly enough no one connected to the 2G network (and that is very odd, I may have typed the wrong SSID/password - but I don't think so). Two devices managed to connect to the 5G network according to the router anyway. Undeterred I disabled slot #2 and re-enabled slot #1 - expecting the 2G network to cause the reboot loop ... but it didn't - the 5G network did and does now if I enable it.

So right now I am running with the troubled 86U and slot #1 2G guest network enabled but 5G disabled. I have no reboot loop at the moment but I don't know whether devices will stop dropping tomorrow (oh geez, there goes one of my IP cameras now - grrr - now it's back a minute later ... and a minute after that two other IP cameras lose connection, these are all 2G devices on my main-not-guest Wi-Fi network).

So I'm having all kinds of issues. I feel like it's probably firmware ... but it could be hardware too? I'm looking for advice before I drop more $$ on a replacement.

Thoughts?

Jim

P.S. At the end of writing this I upgraded to 386.2_beta2 and it seems all the symptoms are present - especially the reboot loop with 5G slot #1 guest network enabled. I'm also beginning to suspect the hardware at this point. :/

I have an RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.1_2 and I am wondering if anyone else is having problems or if there are any known problems relating to Wi-Fi when the guest network is enabled in slot #1 (leftmost) - particularly the 5G guest slot?
Yes, this has been extensively discussed on the forums. Use Guest Network 2 instead.

So I am still struggling with this problem - or rather these problems.

#1 - Reboot loop
  • I believe this person also had the problem.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/bug-ac86u-on-386-1_2-using-both-2-4-and-5ghz-guest.70824/
  • I am wondering if this is a separate problem - unrelated to my second problem.
  • If it weren't for the above person having the same issue I'd just assume my router is dying and the reboot loop is a symptom but that's harder to do with another person experiencing it and with it seeming to be introduced with the 386 code base.
#2 - 2.4G devices drop off the network
  • Believe it or not but I bought an RT-AX86U and with it I was able to discern that 386_42095 seems to fix that problem for the AX86U.
    • I ran for 24 hours with Merlin 386.1_2 and had drops; then flashed to stock 386_42095 and ran without drops for 24 hours).
  • The only way to get my RT-AC86U to that code base is with Merlin's 386_2_beta2? Is this correct? Am I benefiting from the 42095 code base on this router even without Asus having released it for this router yet?
    • Because I am having drops still.
      • Although it is possible/probable that the drops are explained by a lack of AiMesh nodes + distance & obstacles.
Anyway, the AX86U seems to be doing better - although that's not proven with Merlin code - yet (and I need Merlin code for two things : VPN Policy Rules (and BTW why hasn't Asus adopted this awesomeness yet?) and Namecheap DDNS registration). I'd be happy to keep the AX86U - but only if my AC86U is failing. If it's firmware ... I think I'd rather go back to 384 until a fix comes along, I can't justify spending $250 on a software bug. To that end - I have a case open with Asus. The first person said they never heard of these problems before - bah. It's been escalated - we'll see where it gets - I just filled out a feedback form and submitted feedback/logs via the web UI.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!