What's new

RT-AC86U Replacement Recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

akashi

Occasional Visitor
My RT-AC86U has served me well for over 2 years but is now defective.

I was looking at getting the RT-AX86S as a replacement and wanted some feedback from other users.

I looked at the RT-AX86U and the price is £250 whereas the the RT-AX86S is £150, a significant difference.

The internet speed is 1Gbps and I use the VPN client function on the router.

Thanks in advance.

All things considered the AX86U is money well spent. Compare the specs between the AX86U and AX86S. Only you can choose but choose wisely...

I would go AX86U. That's what I intend to do from my AC86U when the price is right for me.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I went for the AX86S as I can't justify spending an extra £100 on features I will not use.

What features are different? I just see a difference in cpu & ram but I'm not sure how that affects performance.
asus.png

The AX86S actually cost more at microcenter here when I bought the AX86U so it was a no-brainer for me. That's apparently not the case everywhere though.

The extra RAM on faster CPU on the RT-AX86U is very helpful for future proof. 2Gbps Internet is becoming more widely available these days as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!