What's new

RT-AC86U shutting off during reboot?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
Does anyone know why the router sometimes shuts off during a reboot? Is this just with the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, or is it indicative of the 86's in general? It sure scared me first time it did it.
TIA,
jts

Does anyone know why the router sometimes shuts off during a reboot? Is this just with the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, or is it indicative of the 86's in general? It sure scared me first time it did it.
TIA,
jts
Longstanding issue that has been discussed ad nauseam -- an entire thread has been dedicated to the topic, but it is still unresolved.

Last edited:
I found a pattern with mine that nobody else seems to agree with, but it is very repeatable in my particular case. If I have a USB drive connected to the router, it will halt at reboot maybe 1 in every 3 times. Without any drive connected, halt only occurs 1 in every 15-20 times.

My idea was that it is something to do with the power supply, but this was confirmed not to be the case.

Since I always need a USB drive connected in order to run certain scripts, I'll just have to deal with the problem. It's not too bad and IMO, the AC86U is still the best value for money Asus router to date.

It happens to me as well. Just got used to it .
Not sure ... maybe just luck ... but it seems that when I am restarting the router using scpMerlin never happened to halt ...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!