What's new

RT-AC86U Speed drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grega

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have RT-AC86U running on Merlin 384.13_0. My Internet speed 1 gigabit from Comcast.I am getting the speed around 400 MB/s when the router works normally, but after a day or to my speed drops below 10 MB/s. Simply reboot puts the speed back to normal.

Please let me know what setting I missed.

53463333.png

Thanks,
Gregor

Hi,
I have RT-AC86U running on Merlin 384.13_0. My Internet speed 1 gigabit from Comcast.I am getting the speed around 400 MB/s when the router works normally, but after a day or to my speed drops below 10 MB/s. Simply reboot puts the speed back to normal.

Please let me know what setting I missed.

53463333.png

Thanks,
Gregor

Have you tried other speed tests/servers?

Tried connecting directly to the cable modem?

OE

Yes. Using modem, I am getting 1 gigabit. This morning speed is again down to 20 Mbps.
I attached log file.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    500.6 KB · Views: 280
My Internet speed 1 gigabit from Comcast.I am getting the speed around 400 MB/s
You cant have 400MB/s = Mbyte !!! on a gigabit line or any 1Gb LAN port, it should be 400Mb/s = Mbit.

Is there any other wifi around, I had this symptom when 2 wifi routers where placed side by side even on different channels 1+5 and 9+13 then it went down <1Mb/s after some minutes.

Is your problem only on wifi or LAN too?

You cant have 400MB/s = Mbyte !!! on a gigabit line or any 1Gb LAN port, it should be 400Mb/s = Mbit.

Is there any other wifi around, I had this symptom when 2 wifi routers where placed side by side even on different channels 1+5 and 9+13 then it went down <1Mb/s after some minutes.

Is your problem only on wifi or LAN too?
only wifi

MacBook Pro 13” model has a 2SS adapter in it and can reach a PHY rate of 866Mbps.
Iphone 8 + not sure but definitely more than 10Mbps

MacBook Pro 13” model has a 2SS adapter in it and can reach a PHY rate of 866Mbps.
Iphone 8 + not sure but definitely more than 10Mbps

Is Smart Connect enabled on your router?
If it is, then disable it and use separate SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz devices.

Disable Auto channel (default Auto), select fixed channels for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks.
Use 20MHz channel for 2.4GHz (default 20/40) and 80MHz channel for 5GHz (default 20/40/80).

Last edited:
Done. Thank you. Should I keep one SSID name for both channels?

Another tip... consider using something like Grega for the 5.0 GHz SSID and Grega-24 for the 2.4 GHz SSID. Then when you try Smart Connect and same SSIDs again later on, you can make them both Grega and not have to mess around with your 5.0 GHz client connections.

OE

Another tip... consider using something like Grega for the 5.0 GHz SSID and Grega-24 for the 2.4 GHz SSID. Then when you try Smart Connect and same SSIDs again later on, you can make them both Grega and not have to mess around with your 5.0 GHz client connections.

OE
Thank you. All done. Now let's see if this will help.

This morning speed dropped to 20Mbps on both channels. After reboot, it went up to normal again (400-500).

To check for potential compatibility issues with some of your clients try this:

In Wireless -> Professional

- TX Bursting Disabled
- MU-MIMO Disabled
- Beamforming (both) Disabled
- Modulation 2.4GHz up to MCS 7 (n)
- Modulation 5GHz up to MCS 9 (ac)

In Wireless

- Wireless Mode Auto
- Protected Management Frames Disabled

Download something like Wifi Analizer on your phone and check what channels are least used in your place.

This morning speed dropped to 20Mbps on both channels. After reboot, it went up to normal again (400-500).

Can you try a different router... yours may be ill. It sounds like a link in the chain is failing after a timeout from reboot... I would suspect hardware and start by swapping out the router.

OE

Last edited:
All setting applied and channels set to a different numbers than neighbors have.
Thank you,
Gregor

My router is still under warranty until 2020/09/23. Which spare router should I buy if I need to return this one?

My router is still under warranty until 2020/09/23. Which spare router should I buy if I need to return this one?

Can you borrow one? I've got a box of old routers.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!