What's new

RT-AC86U static IP Assignment?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spokey

Occasional Visitor
Probably more an ASUS question but as I'm running Merlin, I thought I'd start here.

Although I've had the router for some time now, I mis-configured it. I have a DHCP range of 172.21.17.0-255, but have static IPs assigned for a couple printers. I had not reserved those IPs and all was well until this morning when my wife's laptop couldn't print (an amazon echo got one of the printer IPs).

In previous routers, cable modems I've been able to reserve a pool within the range for static assignments. I can't find that here. I have found and enabled the static assignment and added the printers. But is there a pool reservation somewhere that I can't find? The nice thing about a reserved pool is that I won't have to hunt done a device currently using the next IP I want to assign if DHCP is excluded from assigning anything in that range.

thanks

The Asus only has one pool which is used for DHCP clients.

You can change to range of that pool to be something like 172.21.17.100 to 172.21.17.254. Then DHCP clients will only get addresses in that range. Devices that have their IP address manually configured (i.e. static) on their NIC could then use an address between 172.21.17.2 and 172.21.17.99. How you keep track of those addresses is up to you.

You can also create DHCP reservations for clients whose IP addresses you want to be fixed. This will stop other DHCP clients from being assigned that address. This is done at LAN > DHCP Server > Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list.

Colin provided the solution.

Just keep in mind if you assign a static IP to a device using that device's GUI or other user interface it may not show up in a list on the router of connected devices and it will definitely not show up in the log for DHCP leases.

My general rule of thumb is to use the router to assign where ever possible static/sticky IPs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!