1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC86U temporary speed issues

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by routerbattles, Jun 2, 2020.

1. routerbattles

routerbattles Occasional Visitor

Hi all,

I'm running the latest standard merlin on my AC86U alongside my older dsl-N55U which I managed to bridge a few months back.

For a long long time I have always got a rather poor 10/11Mb/s down and 1mb roughly up speeds. This has been true of when I didn't have the AC86U and since I have had it. Somewhere along the way my download speed has dropped to 7mb/s and upload to 3/4 of a M/b.

I have a lot of scripts installed - skynet/diversion/unbound/nextdns/yazfi/qos etc and don't believe it's them as I have attempted to disable/ uninstall them all one by one with no change. I think I have done something wrong somewhere with a router setting but not sure what.

Don't really want to go down the route of a factory reset if at all possible as apart from the poor speed I am very happy with the setup.

What can I do to narrow this down and figure out what I have done?

Thanks in advance :)

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

It sounds like you have an ADSL connection. The most obvious cause would be a degradation in the telephone line quality causing the modem in the N55U to sync at a lower rate. If you reboot the N55U do the speeds return (if only for a short while)?

Try connecting a PC directly to the N55U (using the appropriate credentials) and see whether you're getting the same speeds.

3. routerbattles

Thanks for the swift reply - this forum is superb.

I do have an ADSL connection - I've just tried rebooting the N55U and the speeds were the same post reboot if not slightly worse. I have already tried rebooting the AC86U also.

Other things I have tried are disabling qos and AIprotection - no difference.

I'll attempt the laptop connected to the n55u tommorrow - I wouldn't have thought this would give me internet though as my "router" is the AC86U?

4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

It's a long time since I had an ADSL connection, but IIRC if your N55U is bridged you would need to create a Dial-up connection in Windows configured for PPPoE (the same settings used on the AC86U).

If that's too much of a chore you could temporarily put the N55U back into router mode and connect a PC to it that way.

5. routerbattles

Thanks I'll try the normal router mode way. Assuming that works and i have normal ish speeds, at that point do i go for a factory reset of the ac86u? We'll see tomorrow now anyway it's late here.
    Thanks again Colin.

6. bbunge

bbunge Very Senior Member

routerbattles likes this.