What's new

RT-AC86U temporary speed issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerbattles

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I'm running the latest standard merlin on my AC86U alongside my older dsl-N55U which I managed to bridge a few months back.

For a long long time I have always got a rather poor 10/11Mb/s down and 1mb roughly up speeds. This has been true of when I didn't have the AC86U and since I have had it. Somewhere along the way my download speed has dropped to 7mb/s and upload to 3/4 of a M/b.

I have a lot of scripts installed - skynet/diversion/unbound/nextdns/yazfi/qos etc and don't believe it's them as I have attempted to disable/ uninstall them all one by one with no change. I think I have done something wrong somewhere with a router setting but not sure what.

Don't really want to go down the route of a factory reset if at all possible as apart from the poor speed I am very happy with the setup.

What can I do to narrow this down and figure out what I have done?

Thanks in advance :)

It sounds like you have an ADSL connection. The most obvious cause would be a degradation in the telephone line quality causing the modem in the N55U to sync at a lower rate. If you reboot the N55U do the speeds return (if only for a short while)?

Try connecting a PC directly to the N55U (using the appropriate credentials) and see whether you're getting the same speeds.

It sounds like you have an ADSL connection. The most obvious cause would be a degradation in the telephone line quality causing the modem in the N55U to sync at a lower rate. If you reboot the N55U do the speeds return (if only for a short while)?

Try connecting a PC directly to the N55U (using the appropriate credentials) and see whether you're getting the same speeds.

Thanks for the swift reply - this forum is superb.

I do have an ADSL connection - I've just tried rebooting the N55U and the speeds were the same post reboot if not slightly worse. I have already tried rebooting the AC86U also.

Other things I have tried are disabling qos and AIprotection - no difference.

I'll attempt the laptop connected to the n55u tommorrow - I wouldn't have thought this would give me internet though as my "router" is the AC86U?

I'll attempt the laptop connected to the n55u tommorrow - I wouldn't have thought this would give me internet though as my "router" is the AC86U?
It's a long time since I had an ADSL connection, but IIRC if your N55U is bridged you would need to create a Dial-up connection in Windows configured for PPPoE (the same settings used on the AC86U).

If that's too much of a chore you could temporarily put the N55U back into router mode and connect a PC to it that way.

It's a long time since I had an ADSL connection, but IIRC if your N55U is bridged you would need to create a Dial-up connection in Windows configured for PPPoE (the same settings used on the AC86U).

If that's too much of a chore you could temporarily put the N55U back into router mode and connect a PC to it that way.
Thanks I'll try the normal router mode way. Assuming that works and i have normal ish speeds, at that point do i go for a factory reset of the ac86u? We'll see tomorrow now anyway it's late here.
Thanks again Colin.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!