What's new

RT-AC86U unable to prevent router from accepting ping requests from WAN and port 5060 open

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nuromen

Occasional Visitor
Greetings,

I have 2 issues with 384.15 firmware on my RT-AC86U

In firewall, if I select Respond ICMP Echo (ping) Request from WAN to NO, I can still ping it.

Running a port scanner I found out that port 5060 is open, why? :-/

Disabled SIP Passthrough in WAN - NAT Passthrough but port still open.

Please help.

Make sure you run the scan from outside the network, not from inside.

Try scanning port 5060 from the canyouseeme.org website (from a client on your LAN) rather than using your phone. It's possible that your mobile provider is intercepting 5060 traffic and creating a false positive.

Interesting - same thing with my RT-AC86U ... also open to ping from outside - but never used to be ???
Only 2 big things changed since I previously confirmed ping closed - installed 384.15 and also unbound.
Otherwise just updates to add-ons per my signature.

@nuromen - do you have unbound installed?

Try scanning port 5060 from the canyouseeme.org website (from a client on your LAN) rather than using your phone. It's possible that your mobile provider is intercepting 5060 traffic and creating a false positive.

My port 5060 definitely closed - per your test suggestion - but ping open?

Tested using the mencioned site, gives an error.

Error: I could not see your service on...

Last edited:
Interesting - same thing with my RT-AC86U ... also open to ping from outside - but never used to be ???
Only 2 big things changed since I previously confirmed ping closed - installed 384.15 and also unbound.
Otherwise just updates to add-ons per my signature.

@nuromen - do you have unbound installed?

I do not know what unbound is :-/

Tested using the mencione site, gives an error.

Error: I could not see your service on...
Then I'd say that your mobile provider is blocking that port. Phone companies don't want you using VoIP across their mobile internet because it conflicts with the services they are trying to sell to you.

So by canyouseeme port 5060 is Inaccessible.

Now how can I configure my router to not respond to ping requests from WAN? Since in webgui no matter what I do, it do not work.

Then I'd say that your mobile provider is blocking that port. Phone companies don't want you using VoIP across their mobile internet because it conflicts with the services they are trying to sell to you.

I was just going to say, port 5060 is SIP. His carrier is probably blocking it.

RT-AX88U v384.15_0 with Unbound running and no ports open or pingable. :)

Does it respond to pings when you test it from this web site?

https://ping.eu/ping/
In my case - no ping response from that site - however, had just rebooted router before test and now no ping response on Fing or Net Analyzer on iPad over mobile to DDNS name from Asus. Go figure ???

If you have another router in front (for instance if your modem is not bridged), the ping responses might be sent back by that modem, not by your Asus router.

Does it respond to pings when you test it from this web site?

https://ping.eu/ping/
I just tested my 14_2 86U, and it responds to pings from this website. I am using a VPN. This is the IP address when connected to the VPN. My actual ISP IP address does not respond from this website.

Last edited:
I just tested my 14_2 86U, and it responds to pings from this website. I am using a VPN. This is the IP address when connected to the VPN. My actual ISP IP address does not respond from this website.
That's expected behaviour then.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!