What's new

RT-AC86U USB3 Mounted drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PhillyD

New Around Here
Hi guys, I have a problem with my 10tb drive connected to my ac86u. The drive and mounting by smb works flawlessly and I can copy/move to the shared folders from my windows pc at 70-100mb/s, but if I try to cut and paste (move) from one shared folder on the drive to another folder on the drive (through windows) it seems to copy instead of move, at a very low speed of around 14-15mb/s. Is this a limitation of the drive being mounted through the router or am I doing something wrong?

If I plug the hdd into my windows 10 mini pc and share the folders and then copy/move files the same way it will instantly move the files like it would through my own local pc.

Any help will be appreciated thanks!

(I did google searching and searching through the site and I couldn't find the same problem, or I didn't have the right search terms)

(edit) Sorry I forgot to mention I am running Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware Version:384.17 - Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi guys, I have a problem with my 10tb drive connected to my ac86u. The drive and mounting by smb works flawlessly and I can copy/move to the shared folders from my windows pc at 70-100mb/s, but if I try to cut and paste (move) from one shared folder on the drive to another folder on the drive (through windows) it seems to copy instead of move, at a very low speed of around 14-15mb/s. Is this a limitation of the drive being mounted through the router or am I doing something wrong?

If I plug the hdd into my windows 10 mini pc and share the folders and then copy/move files the same way it will instantly move the files like it would through my own local pc.

Any help will be appreciated thanks!

(I did google searching and searching through the site and I couldn't find the same problem, or I didn't have the right search terms)

(edit) Sorry I forgot to mention I am running Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware Version:384.17 - Thanks!
In a word, resources. Your mini PC has more resources that can better work with the NTFS file system on the drive. A router is not a good sub for a NAS. Why not use the mini PC to share files?

There were problems like this with the SMBv1 protocol that SMBv2 and SMBv3 tries to fix. So check the router's Samba protocol and choose SMBv2 only. See if that makes a difference.

I would use the minipc still if I still had it, it died a few days ago which is why I thought i'd give the router a new job lol.
I put the SMB protocol to v2 instead of v1+v2 and it made transfers from my drive on the router to my pc quicker (copying at 100-110mb/s) but moving from one folder on the router hdd to another still limits it from about 15-20mb/s. Also copying files TO the shared directories on the router hdd from my pc is around 80-90mb/s. I just find it strange like I may have formatted it wrong or done something to it that would cause this, it is in NTFS would ext4 make a difference?

I had this problem (moving files) when my drive was formatted as FAT32. Windows was transferring the data from the router to the PC and then back to router creating a new file. It would then delete the original file. Reformatting the drive to ext4 fixed the problem and file moves became instant, as they should be.

I've just tried to test this with an NTFS formatted drive and didn't experience the problem (file moves were instant). That could be down to me having a different version of the NTFS driver on my router.

Awesome thank you for testing that for me Colin! Is it possible for me to update my ntfs driver on the router (easy as I'm not super good at terminal but can do basic stuff) or would it be better to just reformat as ext4 and go from there?

Awesome thank you for testing that for me Colin! Is it possible for me to update my ntfs driver on the router (easy as I'm not super good at terminal but can do basic stuff) or would it be better to just reformat as ext4 and go from there?
No you can't change the NTFS driver on the router, it's compiled in. It's definitely worth trying ext4. Being a Linux filesystem it's the preferred choice for the router. The downside of course is that if you plug the drive back into your Windows PC it won't be able to read it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!