What's new

rt-ac86u: vlans how to do it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fitz Mutch

Just trying to figure how to do vlans for the new RT-AC86U router. I'm making progress but still no cigar. There is no robocfg. Broadcom has a new programm called vlanctl. I want to use Ethernet port#4 on the router as a trunk for a managed switch with vlan14 as a guest network.

Test example
Code:
# Ethernet port#4 on the router is a trunk for a managed switch with vlan14
vlanctl --mcast --if-create-name eth1 vlan14
vlanctl --if eth1 --rx --tags 0 --set-rxif vlan14 --rule-append
vlanctl --if eth1 --tx --tags 0 --filter-txif vlan14 --rule-append
ifconfig vlan14 allmulti up

# how to delete it
ifconfig vlan14 allmulti down
vlanctl --if-delete vlan14

Lastly, on the new RT-AC86U, Ethernet port#4 is actually called "eth1" in the firmware, so beware the Ethernet ports are numbered backwards.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I recently bought the RT-AC86U and need to create a VLAN for guest network access for one of my wired lan ports. I used to be able to do this via robocfg. vlanctl documentation is very hard to understand.

Hmm, it seems that RT-AC86U does not have default vlan configuration.
So I guess we need make a default vlan to map all ports then separate each port for our needs.
I think it is too risky

Last edited:
Digging up this older thread...
Did anyone get this to work? I'm interested in using my RT-AC86U as an Access Point and using VLANs to tag/isolate traffic.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!