What's new

RT-AC86U - VPN Speedtests

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,

I did some OpenVPN speed tests with several VPN providers on the ASUS RT-AC86U, running the latest stable Merlin firmware.
See the test results in the link below:
https://www.skadligkod.se/vpn/vpn-speedtest-asus-rt-ac86u-merlin-firmware/

Regards
Geraner

Great tests. I agree ExpressVPN is not the fastest. I would suggest two things:

1. Run this test again by using one of the major VPN hubs used by pretty much all providers - Netherlands. Netherlands is well connected in Europe and their data centers are one of the most reasonable price wise in Europe, hence pretty much all VPNs have very good amount of servers and connectivity there. The reason I am saying this is that not all providers may have great network capacity in Sweden.

2. Sign up for Astrill 7 days free via their chat. Install their applet on the router and check the speeds using their RouterPro protocol on the applet (this is their optimized OpenVPN protocol which is using less CPU resources), you may be able to beat the 240 Mbps mark.

1) My experiences in the past have shown that the speed when using other countries than Sweden, was much lower than with Swedish VPN servers. No matter which VPN provider i tested with.
2) I was taking a look at Astrill VPN. Contacted them on the chat and asked for a 7 days free. Received a link with was for a page where I have to pay for at least one month. :(
Because I never heard about AstrillVPN before, I have searched a bit on the internet and found this not so good YT Video about their service.

The YouTube video is one user's opinion.

I have used their service and it works well and anytime I have had a question they have gotten back to me in less than 24 hours.

I run their service using their app on computers, tablets and phones and it works. I also have run it on routers and I currently have it running as one of three VPN clients on my AC1900P.

I do however use PIA on my VPN appliance as the throughput is faster than what I get on Astrill. Other than that no complaints.