What's new

RT-AC86U VPN Startup Problem Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.21045

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mister

Regular Contributor
Dear all,
I have bought the router 86U new and wanted to run it with the same, working configuration of my 68U. But unfortunately there seems to be a problem, which is very likely due to the current firmware in connection with the Open VPN Client.

The following facts.
Router updated to the latest firmware, the router was reset to factory settings and then I started with the configuration.
WLAN and LAN configured, no problems

Then I set up and activated my OpenVPN client as usual.
Internet is available and usable.

Then I rebooted the router:
WiFi connection to the router established, intranet works. There is no WAN connection detected in the GUI, although there is a cable in it.
If you unplug the cable and put it back in, the WAN IP address will be displayed correctly and you will be told that you are connected to the network.
In fact, the internet does not work, only the intranet IPs are reachable.

The OpenVPN client indicates that it is connected correctly - but no data is flowing.
Reboot leads to the same result.

The only thing that works:
Pull out the WAN cable, reboot the Asus router, plug in the cable, terminate the OpenVPN client, reboot the router without the WAN cable, plug in the WAN cable, activate the Openvpn client -> Internet will be available until the next reboot.

When rebooting with WAN cable, I can not go to the OpenVPN client side to disable the client. Whenever I try to call the rider, the router hangs and you can not click anything else.

Interestlingly if you are using Merlin 384.5 - with the same configuration - it working without problems.
I downgraded to official firmwares manually (Version 3.0.0.4.384.20942 ) and Version 3.0.0.4.384.20648 , without succsess.
According to the system logs, the VPN connection is successfully established, but as I said, no data is transferred.

Does anybody know that problem? The VPN provider is cyberghost.

Thanks a lot.

Peter

Hello, everyone,
Unfortunately, no one has yet been able to give me an answer to the problem described above. I tried a little more and hope that I was able to limit the problem.
I suspect that it is related to the VPN provider Cyberghost.
This necessarily requires an IPV6 configuration, whereas other providers "only" require IPV4. If I use another VPN provider (also in the latest firmware 21140), then the VPN client function works perfectly. All previously described errors are gone.

But when I use Cyberghost, the problems are back. I tested as well switching off the firewall without any effect. Unfortunately I don't know if the problem is in the Cyberghost OpenVPN configuration files or in the official Asus firmware. I suspect in the Asus firmware, because Merlin works with the same cyberghost configuration.

I would like to be able to tell Asus Support where to change what in the official firmware. Unfortunately, I am not a programmer.
I once attached the log fles. Maybe someone finds an error message or has an idea.

The only hint I found was this:
Jul 22 15:09:05 vpnclient1[1298]: add_route_ipv6(2000::/3 -> 2001:4ba0:ffea:1:10a:200:0:1 metric -1) dev tun11
Jul 22 15:09:05 vpnclient1[1298]: /sbin/route -A inet6 add 2000::/3 dev tun11
Jul 22 15:09:05 vpnclient1[1298]: GID set to nobody
Jul 22 15:09:05 vpnclient1[1298]: UID set to nobody
Jul 22 15:09:05 vpnclient1[1298]: Initialization Sequence Completed
Jul 22 15:09:09 rc_service: udhcpc 1008:notify_rc start_firewall
Jul 22 15:09:09 dhcp client: bound 192.168.0.111 via 192.168.0.1 during 864000 seconds.
Jul 22 15:09:09 modprobe: module ip6t_REJECT not found in modules.dep
Jul 22 15:09:09 modprobe: module ip6t_ROUTE not found in modules.dep
Jul 22 15:09:09 modprobe: module ip6t_LOG not found in modules.dep
Jul 22 15:09:09 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)

But I have no idea , if my problems are related to this.

Thank you for your time.

Peter.

Attachments

• neuste Firmware 21140 ipv6 firewall deaktiviert.txt
    14.9 KB · Views: 397

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!