What's new

RT-AC86u vs GT-AC2900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine Ong

Regular Contributor
there hasn't much discussion about GT-AC2900 even though Merlin has a beta firmware to support it.

Locally, GT-AC2900 is about 2/3 the price of RT-AC86U ($200 vs $135). I intend to get one of these as the main AiMesh router, supported by a few existing AC68U as AiMesh nodes.

From what I can tell, they are basically sharing the same hardware, except GT has a different web interface (using AsusWRT) and has a bunch of LED lights (that I don't really care). I need a main router that would support a 3 floor house. My current setup is hitting its limits now everyone is working from home (30+ devices connected at any time).

My questions is: what are the REAL difference between RT-AC86U vs GT-AC2000 in terms of 1) hardware, and 2) merlin support? Given that GT-AC2900 is 30% cheaper, I am inclined to get GT-AC2900 instead.

regards,

Last edited:
First of all, I think you meant AC86U and not AC68U...

If above is true...

...no, AC86U is better to get. You get Merlin support with AC86U, but not with GT-AC2900. Basicaly, these two are very similar routers with addition of RGB and some gaming features on GT-AC2900U.

Not worth it in my opinion...

First of all, I think you meant AC86U and not AC68U...

If above is true...

...no, AC86U is better to get. You get Merlin support with AC86U, but not with GT-AC2900. Basicaly, these two are very similar routers with addition of RGB and some gaming features on GT-AC2900U.

Not worth it in my opinion...

Thank you, you are correct, I meant AC86U vs GT-AC2900. Both typos in the title/thread were fixed.

GT-AC2900 is supported by Merlin (386.1 Beta4 as of today), hence my original inquiry,

regards,

The GT model has 'experimental' support right now.

I would not bet saving 30% that it will continue to be supported if you're building a whole network around one. This answer may change in a week or a month, or more, but today?

Do you feel lucky, punk? :D

there hasn't much discussion about GT-AC2900 even though Merlin has a beta firmware to support it.

Locally, GT-AC2900 is about 2/3 the price of RT-AC86U ($200 vs $135). I intend to get one of these as the main AiMesh router, supported by a few existing AC68U as AiMesh nodes.

From what I can tell, they are basically sharing the same hardware, except GT has a different web interface (using AsusWRT) and has a bunch of LED lights (that I don't really care). I need a main router that would support a 3 floor house. My current setup is hitting its limits now everyone is working from home (30+ devices connected at any time).

My questions is: what are the REAL difference between RT-AC86U vs GT-AC2000 in terms of 1) hardware, and 2) merlin support? Given that GT-AC2900 is 30% cheaper, I am inclined to get GT-AC2900 instead.

regards,

They are both AC2900 and similar hardware. The GT tends to be upscaled with some marketing features and an ugly red webUI, and it usually costs more. And the GT firmware typically lags, both Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin, if available.

Normal advice would be to skip the GT router... more expensive, more clutter, and less support for the same router.

You'll have to decide if cost is your only criteria. Be sure to consider all cost, not just the purchase price.

This US AC86U is still going for $153 today:

ASUS AC2900 Dual-band Gaming Router, Mesh Wi-Fi support - Newegg.com

OE

Experimental is the same as "not supported" for me.

As a 39-year old I do not have so much time anymore to tweak and tinker with my router as in old days (10 years ago, that is...). You know, family, job and so on...

Thats why I really wait until the build is really tested before I flash it on my main router. I simply need stable connection for me, my wife and my kids in school, especially nowadays, when school is being teached via Zoom...

So, right now, stable for me on my AC86U is 384.19 build and in it there is no GT-AC2900 support, of course...

If you however have spare time and energy... Go for it...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!