What's new

RT-AC86U w Merlin Corrupted wrote CFG to desktop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tommyz1052

New Around Here
I was running Merlin 386.19, this am spontaneously having wifi issues. When i went to login through web gui my username and password didnt work. I made several attempts at resetting via reset with difficulty. Finally i was able to facory default ( which didnt revert 100% to Factory settings)
Over-wrote a Asus Vanilla firmware which helped and I was able to get things up and running.
When i searched for a CFG file i found a Asus CFG file dated Today 4/28/2021 with the approx time minus about 10 minutes before my troubles began. The file was located on the desktop of the computer I was working under. In a folder that had the last software installed in (windows defaults to it). Named ASUS2Settings_RT-AC86U (2).CFG.

Someone / thing inserted a 2 in between Asus and Settings , I dont think its algorithmic as in the auto rename function. Biggest annoyance was non functioning username/password . I gave up and used a 4 month old file.

What I am asking, is it possible there is a backdoor and people are screwing around with my setup?

I upped my firmware to 318.22

Any thoughts?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm a bit confused ... as far as I know there is no 386.19 firmware - there was 384.19 ... which in the case of the RT-AC86U included a special note in the Changelog to that version requiring a JFFS partition backup - format and restore after upgrading from any prior version [Merlin or Stock].

Also- no 318.22 firmware - but I assume you meant 386.2.2 ??? ;)

Anyway - bottom line is you seem to have some data corruption in the router and coming from 384 code to 386 code on the RT-AC86U your router will definitely benefit from following this series of guides ...

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/post-495710

EDIT: as to the (2) inserted in your config file name - that happens automajically whenever Windows encounters a file of the same name in the folder where the file is to be saved ... in your case probably a (1).CFG is lurking there as well?.

yes your corrections are correct. Sorry i typed this quickly. Didnt see the info on jfss backup. I thought it bizarre it dumped that cfg. Ist that a feature? Just copying it anywhere.... I tried that cfg and password doesnt work of course.

So i updated to the 386.2.2 , but my Aimesh nodes are not at that version. Initially it seemed that i could see them and they were accepting firmware, now they are just hanging out. The splash screen shows Unable to connect to the parent AP Rt-ac68u ( i have 3 ac68u's)......

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!