1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC86U - WAN connection issue

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Serge, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Serge

Serge Occasional Visitor

I've applied latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on my router. Unfortunately, router can't connect to my ISP through WAN interface. Provider says that 'there is no electrical connectivity between router and provider server'. ISP light is red on the router. I pretty sure that it caused by router misconfiguration.
    --
    Routers WebUI (Tools->Network->Ethernet Ports->WAN 0) says that cable is 'Unplugged'.
    Most of network services(firewall, QoS, VPN and others) are turned off.
    Provider requires a minimal router configuration: hardcoded MAC address and dynamic IP address, it is configured from my side.
    I connected my notebook to WAN with network cable - connection was successful; I think this means that WAN connector is alive.
    --
    I've used ASUS Firmware Restoration tool for upgrading firmware and upgraded from latest official ASUS firmware to latest Merlin one.
    I hold 'Reset' button for about 10 sec to reset settings, however all my settings(wireless networks configuration etc.) were saved during upgrade (I don't know if it is ok).
    --
    Could someone give me a piece of advise, how to fix the issue.

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Log into the router and go to Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting and do an "Initialize".

When the router restarts it should ask you to set it up again. Only do the minimum amount of changes necessary to get the router working; user name, passwords and WAN MAC address if you think it's needed. Do not turn off the firewall or make any other non-standard changes.

3. Serge

Serge Occasional Visitor

@ColinTaylor it did not help.
    The only changes I made after initialization were:
    - configured WiFi networks
    - set ISP IP to 'dynamic'
    - hardcoded MAC address, that's it.
    However, if I plug in ISP network cable to a notebook directly, it works. If I connect router (WAN slot) and notebook with network cable - connection is established.
    In addition, I've found in logs that router's 'current time' is 5 May 2018. May it cause the issue?

4. ColinTaylor

What hard-coded MAC address are you using? If it works when you plug your laptop in directly then you should be cloning the laptop's MAC address.

Ignore the date, that is the default date of the router when it boots up. Once it has managed to connect to the internet it will correct it.

5. ColinTaylor

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. What router, your Asus or something else? Please be specific with makes and model numbers.

6. Serge

Serge Occasional Visitor

Yep, I've connected ASUS RT-AC86U WAN slot with notebook network slot. Connection was established.

7. Serge

Serge Occasional Visitor

Actually, ISP can see if I use wrong MAC address and tell me to use a correct one. The problem is that both ISP and ASUS RT-AC86U does not see the network connection at all. Looks like that network cable is just 'unplugged', but it is not.

8. ColinTaylor

I guess you did that just to check that the cable link was working?

What is the ISP equipment you are plugging your router into? A cable modem?

Have you tried using a different cable.

9. Serge

Serge Occasional Visitor

Cable is ok - if I plug it into notebook, it works.
    Just rolled back to ASUS firmware - internet works. Seems like a bug in the Merlin's firmware.

10. ColinTaylor

Oh dear. What firmware was it that didn't work, 384.7_2? There looks to be quite a lot of bugs fixed in the latest beta, 384.8_beta1.

11. Serge

Serge Occasional Visitor

Yes, I tried this one. I expected that a release version mature product is quite stable and does not contain 'showstopper' bugs.
    So, will wait for release 384.8 (or 384.9).
    Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

12. ColinTaylor

I get the impression that the firmware for the RT-AC86U is still a "work in progress" because it's such a new code base.

13. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

@Serge Who is your ISP? What is the type/model of your ISP equipment?

14. Serge

Serge Occasional Visitor

It eastern europe ISP. They does not provide any information about their equipment. Anyway, I rolled back to ASUS 3.0.0.4.384 and reported a bug to Merlin asuswrt.

15. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

Here in the US I have a cable company for an ISP and I use my own cable modem (Netgear CM600). I just downloaded Merlin and I just have to download ASUS firmware in case Merlin does not work out. Back at you in less than an hour, I hope.

16. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

@Serge My ISP WAN connection works fine.

17. Serge

Serge Occasional Visitor

Good for you, I pretty sure that my issue is caused by provider's networking configuration.