What's new

RT-AC86U Wan/Lan Speed problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mogulman

Regular Contributor
I bought an RT-AC86U this week. I was going to setup an AIMesh network with my older RT-AC1900P. I set everything up and noticed my internet download speeds using a few different speedtest sites was slower.

I am using Comcast/Xfinity Cable Internet with Gig speed. I tested my internet with a PC directly connected to my cable modem. and get 950/42.

So I went back to the beginning and reset both my RT-AC1900P and RT-AC86U to factory. Configured both exactly the same (with default settings accept as required to go through the initial settings) and switched from one to the other with just a single PC connected. The same PC as above.

I get 930+/42 with the RT-AC1900P but only 530/42 with the RT-AC86U.

What's up????? The new unit is supposed to have a faster CPU and more memory. Why is it slower?

Both have the latest 10007 firmware

Last edited:
I noticed in the switch settings that the RT-AC86U does not have NAT acceleration listed. Is that gone? Maybe that is the speed loss?

Just to make sure it isn't because I'm getting assigned a different IP address, I tried cloning my PCs MAC. Same problem...
RT-AC86U 550Mbps/42Mbps
RT-AC1900P 950Mbps/42Mbps

BTW.. used DSL Reports Speedtest and Xfinity.

Any update on this?

Yeah.Sorry..I updated in another thread about the RT-AC86U.

I was really frustrated at first. I even cloned the MAC from my RT-AC1600P onto my RT-AC86U so they got the same IP address from Comcast/Xfinity. RT-AC86U was always slower. Every time I tried with the devices Reset to factory settings.

So I was about ready to give up and decided to just try out some other features and fully configured the RT-AC86U and AiMesh, QoS and Protection. To see how they perform on the RT-AC86U.

After I set all this extra stuff up, now the RT-AC86U is performing at full speed, 950Mbps. So either the router just decided to work better because it likes me, or something burned in, or one of those settings caused something to change. I haven't gone back and changed the settings back or experimented on trying to figure out what caused the slowness on the RT-AC86U. All I know is that it is working fast now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!