1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC86U weird issues

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by timofeid, Jul 17, 2019.

1. timofeid

timofeid New Around Here

Hello everyone,

Recently I've upgraded my trustworthy RT-N18U to RT-AC86U in order to achieve greater VPN speeds and 5 GHz. I've immediately flashed stable Merlin firmware 384.12, reset it to factory and configured the thing.
    Wi-Fi is 2.4/5GHz SmartConnect (default settings), ISP is simple DHCP. No QoS, IPv6 etc.

Life was great… for a couple of weeks.

Today all of a sudden my wireless devices started to randomly lose Wi-Fi connection for long periods of time while the wired ones are working fine.

Router's web interface became extremely laggy, sometimes pages are simply stuck loading, Wi-Fi on the top icon is often half-green and a pop-up says 2.4 GHz is using channel 0. CPU load is below 5%, no overheating, RAM usage is about 50%, device itself is far from hot to touch.

After some googling I've tried 2.4/5 GHz SSID separation, N and legacy modes, 20 MHz bandwidth and manual control channels but to no avail, as well as factory reset — after quick initial setup is slows down to a crawl almost immediately.

How can I diagnose this issues? SSH access is working fine.

Thanks in advance.

2. Vexira

Vexira Very Senior Member

Try testing with a tool like wifi analyser to see if you are using a channel that is getting interference
    Also how are LAN clients fairing in preformace.

3. Zarrow

Zarrow New Around Here

Users of the AC86U in South East Asia have posted a lot of complaints about 2.4GHz wireless failures on units bought from China. It could easily be a hardware fault. But one software thing you might want to try is turning off WPS in the advanced wireless settings.

4. timofeid

timofeid New Around Here

Thanks, I've checked it — no more than 3 networks per channel and there are always a couple or more of "free" channels available with weak <-80 dBms networks.

5. timofeid

timofeid New Around Here

Thanks, I always keep WPS off.
    I'm not in South East Asia region but the label says H/W Rev. 1.5, Made in China, 2018.

6. Zarrow

Zarrow New Around Here

7. Thorton

Thorton Regular Contributor

Similar issue here. Upgraded from 87U to 86U a few weeks ago, and the fun started... I experience WiFi disconnections for short periods of 10-60 seconds once or twice a day. When it happens, all clients show they are connected to WiFi, but I can't even ping router. Minute later, everything starts working again. Router has a sticker that says it was manufactured on 2019 in China, so I guess it should have all the hardware bugs (if any) resolved.

In my situation, the issue is not related to crowded channels because I only have one neighbor, so there's no interference. And this issue randomly happens not depending on number of connected clients (very often my PC is the only connected client).

P.S> As per suggestion at https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-5#post-504892 I just disabled airtime fairness to see if that helps.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  8. Thorton

Thorton Regular Contributor

Sadly, that didn't help. 2 random connection drops during last 5 minutes.

9. timofeid

timofeid New Around Here

Nope, thanks.

Brought the router to repairs expert, he said it's either wi-fi amp issue (can be repaired) or processor issue (irreparable, router has to be sent back to ASUS).
    Planning a visit to our local ASUS support office