What's new

RT-AC86U WPS Clear NVRAM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

a5m

Regular Contributor
I just got a RT-AC86U and was trying to clear the NVRAM using the WPS button method like I have been doing on my RT-AC68R, but it isn't working. Only the power light comes on briefly and then turns off and then nothing happens. I've held the WPS button down for as long as a minute. I think it goes into some kind of limp or recovery mode; the WiFi turns off and I get the 169.254 IP and can't access the setup page. Unless I turn it off and turn it back on without pressing any buttons.

I know there's the Restore function through the GUI but the WPS method just feels better and more thorough.

It seems like this works on the RT-AC86U for other people. What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing. The AC86 is quirky. Just power cycle the router after the NVRAM erase and it should complete the process.

Reactions: Gar
Probably nothing. The AC86 is quirky. Just power cycle the router after the NVRAM erase and it should complete the process.

Hey thanks for your reply and help.

So are you saying it works on some and not on others? Did/do you have one it worked on?

So are you saying it works on some and not on others? Did/do you have one it worked on?
no, not one some but sometimes, depending on recent software status.

I had this issue on at least four of the five of the AC86s I have sent to ASUS. While the clearing of NVRAM was usually successful using the WPS method I usually had to power cycle the router. I could have lived with this problem but the routers had other problems such as radios not working, VPNs not working, etc.

I would suggest that you try the full "Nuclear" reset protocol and see if you can get your router into a stable condition. If it doesn't work then you are faced with dealing with ASUS and RMAing your router and hoping that the one they send you functions and isn't just someone else's problem.

Reactions: a5m
Man that's so frustrating. Kinda puts a damper on the whole thing, especially for an OCD person like myself. Prefer the RT-AC68R in this regard.

So you're saying the NVRAM is being cleared even though it's not restarting on its own? That doesn't feel right, I like it when it all works smoothly as it should. I may just stick with doing it through the GUI.

I will try the "Nuclear" method on it again but skip the NVRAM clear steps using WPS, or substitute them with doing it through the GUI instead. I'll run it for a while and see how it goes. Secretly hoping I find a reason to get a replacement...

After I reset the NVRAM and then unplugged the power then plugged it back in, the router came up and the setup wizard appears. After doing the minimum setup you can proceed to the other steps in the "Nuclear" option.

Don't take any short cuts. Follow all the steps in L&LD's methodology exactly. Hopefully this will get you to a stable router. If after the first time when you put your router back on line if you get problems after a day or two try once more. If it still isn't stable after the second "Nuclear" reset then stop wasting your time and either return the router or RMA it with ASUS.

Reactions: a5m
After I reset the NVRAM and then unplugged the power then plugged it back in, the router came up and the setup wizard appears. After doing the minimum setup you can proceed to the other steps in the "Nuclear" option.

Don't take any short cuts. Follow all the steps in L&LD's methodology exactly. Hopefully this will get you to a stable router. If after the first time when you put your router back on line if you get problems after a day or two try once more. If it still isn't stable after the second "Nuclear" reset then stop wasting your time and either return the router or RMA it with ASUS.

Yes that's what mine does. I do the WPS thing but have to turn it off and back on to get the setup wizard. That's why I asked if others behave differently, because I can't follow the Nuclear method exactly, have to modify it a bit.

Thanks for your advice. Hopefully it'll run just fine. My fear is that since I bought it used, it can have an issue outside the warranty which ends in less than a year on 6/25/2020. I've seen people report issues upto 16 months into ownership. If I end up RMAing it at least I get a bit of an extension with a new unit.

So that didn't take long. Set the thing up last night after doing a "nuclear" reset and this morning all devices on 2.4GHz were disconnected. Took me longer to realize what was happening, then I got that sick feeling. Just shipped it off today (Asus provided the label upon asking twice). Hoping to have a new 2019 build in a week or so.

If I end up RMAing it at least I get a bit of an extension with a new unit.

In the USA the warranty you get even if you get a NEW unit on an RMA is only one year from the date of the purchase of your original unit.

In the USA the warranty you get even if you get a NEW unit on an RMA is only one year from the date of the purchase of your original unit.

Yes, or in my case since I bought it used, any remaining warranty transfers over to the replacement.

I just got a RT-AC86U and was trying to clear the NVRAM using the WPS button method like I have been doing on my RT-AC68R, but it isn't working. Only the power light comes on briefly and then turns off and then nothing happens. I've held the WPS button down for as long as a minute. I think it goes into some kind of limp or recovery mode; the WiFi turns off and I get the 169.254 IP and can't access the setup page. Unless I turn it off and turn it back on without pressing any buttons.

I know there's the Restore function through the GUI but the WPS method just feels better and more thorough.

It seems like this works on the RT-AC86U for other people. What am I doing wrong?
I know I'm really late to this, but it was the first result in DuckDuckGo so I'm replying in case anyone else has the same question.

What you described is normal.

ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

Here is a link to all the methods, by model.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!