What's new

RT-AC86U - WPS, Wi-Fi and LED on/off buttons not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Going_Strong

Regular Contributor
Hello all,
Long-time lurker here, finally decided to sign up.
I've been using the RT-AC86U for just over a year now, more or less successfully.
Recently, however, I've run into a problem - the WPS, wi-fi and LED on/of buttons (all three at once) simply do not work.
If I reboot the router or reinitialize it and set everything up from scratch they work for a day or two but invariably die.
Currently on latest stock firmware as on the day of writing (3.0.0.4.384.45149), however I don’t remember if the problem was present earlier, or if it appeared after I upgraded.
And my question - is this "normal" behaviour (i.e. a firmware bug) or could it be indicative of hardware failure?
Thanks for your input.

I've had 3 86u's and while 2 of them failed I never saw that problem. Over a year used several firmware revisions as well. Warranty time.

Thanks!
I was afraid that could be the case.
Just to be on the safe side, I'll wait for some more responses (hopefully), but "warranty time" is probably the way to go.
And on a philosophical note - what the hell is going wrong with Asus? A year of pretty light use and this ... Oh well.

I have been using the 86U for almost 3 months with no problems. Currently on Merlin 384.9. Haven't seen the problem you describe, but I would agree with Gar, sounds like warranty time.

Thank you!
I've sent the RT-AC86U back to the shop, hopefully I'll get a refund. In the the meantime I've bought a TP-Link C4000, very impressed so far.

Well, the shop has been very understanding, got my money back in full - no questions asked.
Guess I'll be sticking with the C4000, works excellently as advertised, no surprises, no self-tripped reboots, no headaches.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!