What's new

RT-AC87U 100% CPU when downloading full speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pizzy09

New Around Here
Hi There,
I saw that there are many post around there with a similar problem, but I tried all the solutions inside them without success.

I have an RT-AC87U since 4 years, always used Merlin firmware (actually I just installed today 384.13_3). Recently, I upgraded my 100Mb/s connection with a 1Gb FTTH.
Unfortunately I've noticed that when I download something at the maximum speed (or also during a speedtest) the CPU goes to 100% (sometimes both cores, dunno if it's a bug or not).
I have NAT Acceleration enabled (Auto), SPT disabled, SMB, QoS, VPN server and other stuff like that disabled.

I also tried to downgrade to the original firmware with a factory reset (reset button and also WPS method).

But, if I use my ISP modem/router I can reach the full speed.
There's something else that I can do to improve a little bit the performance?

During the download I opened a top in a SSH shell and i noticed that the top 2 processes are:
top.jpg

But, is it normal, isn't it?

Thanks a lot.

I have NAT Acceleration enabled (Auto)....
Check the actual status at Tools > System Information > HW acceleration

I also tried to downgrade to the original firmware with a factory reset (reset button and also WPS method).
That doesn't change the firmware. All it does is reset the current firmware to its default values.

With my old 68U I was able to get 940 Mbps with CTF enabled and one core of the cpu would be at 100% so I would think the 87U would be similar. Is your WAN connection PPPoE? Seems like I've heard of issues with that type of connection on fast ISP connections.