What's new

RT-AC87U after 384.13_2 update ERROR: NVRAM usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dombo

Occasional Visitor
Dear after latest update 384.13_2
I get an warning for my NVRAM

I do have only 20 dhcp names [ les ], i did remove a lot.

I ise the router for a year or 5, never had issues..
Only new router is not stable any more,
I read on the web, i need to reset the router.

I hope there a other solution

Thanks

If you will login to router over SSH and run this command it will show the 20 largest variables that might need attention:
Code:
nvram show 2>/dev/null | awk '{print length(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20

Dear Thanks:
Code:
ngth(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20
5117 custom_clientlist
911 MULTIFILTER_MACFILTER_DAYTIME
892 qos_rulelist
810 nc_setting_conf
790 dhcp_staticlist
672 dhcp_hostnames
474 rc_support
351 wrs_rulelist
223 autofw_rulelist
186 I'd like another country to tick because it allows the sender of my WiFi may                                                                                           be stronger right? [USA is stronger than Eu is that right? ]Like a little expla                                                                                          nation how. Then, the next ..
183 wrs_app_rulelist
147 After a reboot or adaptation in my settings my netwerk go my wifi name to ch                                                                                          ange in to to root instead of my own naam.I must reset that each time.
141 MULTIFILTER_MAC
139 Phones, Satellite Boxes, Tablets, IPcamera, ESP wifi pir, Printer, Laptop, C                                                                                          ubieboards, 2x Kodi, Hue, Harmony remote, solar panels, etc ..
129 wps_env_buf
125 fb_browserInfo
122 So I'm very happy, but one point is definitely not!there may be only 64 fixe                                                                                          d IP addresses are set.I use home automation.
119 Though they are not all visible at all institutions. No QoS or any other set                                                                                          ting I should be missing, is not an issue.
117 I would like to also have a lease time on my Guest Network. Now I can set 30                                                                                           minutes, but then the network goes out.
109 client_info_tmp

My list:
25 fixet

Or is there a other list?

186 I'd like another country to tick because it allows the sender of my WiFi may be stronger right? [USA is stronger than Eu is that right? ]Like a little expla nation how. Then, the next ..
147 After a reboot or adaptation in my settings my netwerk go my wifi name to ch ange in to to root instead of my own naam.I must reset that each time.
139 Phones, Satellite Boxes, Tablets, IPcamera, ESP wifi pir, Printer, Laptop, C ubieboards, 2x Kodi, Hue, Harmony remote, solar panels, etc ..
122 So I'm very happy, but one point is definitely not!there may be only 64 fixe d IP addresses are set.I use home automation.
119 Though they are not all visible at all institutions. No QoS or any other set ting I should be missing, is not an issue.
117 I would like to also have a lease time on my Guest Network. Now I can set 30 minutes, but then the network goes out.
It looks like your nvram has a lot of junk data that's been accidentally added to it.

factory only???
Is there no list where i clean op the strange data i see in the list...
When i login with ftp or something like that?
The strange text is a chat that i have with someone who help me setup the router..

I have a home automation system in my house i use very much Wifi [ esp2866] devices. ]
When i do a factrory, and i use the same devices...
Is the NVRAM then not full @the same time?

Or is het better to buy a other Router?

Edit:
Found this

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

• While router is running, press the reset button for about 5 secs, then release it. Router will then reboot.
  • From the webui, on the same page where you can save/restore saved settings, there is a button to restore factory default values
  • Over SSH, you can run the "nvram erase" command.
  • Over SSH you can manually erase the nvram partition (do not use this method unless you know what you are doing! Erasing the wrong partition can permanently brick your router!) Run "mtd-erase nvram", followed by PHYSICALLY turning off then on the router. Do not use the reboot command.

Try running this command to see if the bad entries ONLY appear:
Code:
nvram show 2>/dev/null | grep "[^=] \="
You might try removing them individually with
Code:
nvram unset “bad variable”
Otherwise, you don’t know what else might be corrupted or clobbered in whatever error introduced these entries in the first place. Factory reset is the only insurance policy.

Code:
DeMeursjes@RT-AC87U-5698:/tmp/home/root# nvram show 2>/dev/null | grep "[^=] \="
DeMeursjes@RT-AC87U-5698:/tmp/home/root#
DeMeursjes@RT-AC87U-5698:/tmp/home/root# nvram show 2>/dev/null | grep "[^=] \="

See no thing.
Other options?

I think the other command is no option when i cannot see the bad file?

Is there no other way to go with FTP to the files?

Dit try this..:)
Code:
a
nation how. Then, the next ..
usage: nvram [get name] [set name=value] [unset name] [show] [commit] [save] [restore] [erase] [fb_save file]
usage: nvram [save_ap file] [save_rp_2g file] [save_rp_5g file] [save_rp_5g2 file]
DeMeursjes@RT-AC87U-5698:/tmp/home/root# nvram erase I'd like another country to tick because it allows the sender of my WiFi may be stronger right? [USA is stronger than
 Eu is that right? ]Like a little explanation how. Then, the next ..
>

There is a remove option nvram command

Code:

See no thing.
Other options?

I think the other command is no option when i cannot see the bad file?

Is there no other way to go with FTP to the files?

Dit try this..:)
Code:
a
nation how. Then, the next ..
usage: nvram [get name] [set name=value] [unset name] [show] [commit] [save] [restore] [erase] [fb_save file]
usage: nvram [save_ap file] [save_rp_2g file] [save_rp_5g file] [save_rp_5g2 file]
DeMeursjes@RT-AC87U-5698:/tmp/home/root# nvram erase I'd like another country to tick because it allows the sender of my WiFi may be stronger right? [USA is stronger than
 Eu is that right? ]Like a little explanation how. Then, the next ..
>

You can list everything with
Code:
nvram show 2>/dev/null | sort
The nvram erase command is meant to erase everything like a factory reset. nvram unset will remove a single variable.

In the time you would spend trying to remove entries individually you could have already done a factory reset and setup your DHCP entries again.

Also bear in mind that list only shows some of the bad data. There is undoubtedly other bad data that we haven't seen.

Oke i think i have to make a Fr..

Only domo question..
When i replace my saved cfg file

Is the nvrom then full again?
Or is replace the cfg file no problem..?

@Dombo you may want to have a look at my M&M Config and Nuclear Reset guides. Don't be intimidated by the number of steps; this should take much less than an hour to do.

After having completed the above, you will have your router back to a good/known state and your router should be performing as optimally as it can with the firmware you decide to proceed with this. :)

Please see my signature below for the link to those and other guides you may find useful too.

(And if you can't see the signatures because you're using a mobile device, try turning it sideways to landscape mode and you should be able to see the signatures then). :)

@Dombo either method is a way to a factory reset. You shouldn't be worried about bricking your router, you should be concentrating on getting it to a good/known state. :)

Yes, a little work ahead. It will be worth it. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!