What's new

RT-AC87U and Seagate Backup Plus Desktop 4TB on USB3.0 not working!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zoloft

New Around Here
Hi guys,

Been trying to work this out but to no avail.

Basically got a new Seagate Backup+ Desktop 4Tb which works fine on plugging into my MacBook Pro, but when I connect it to the USB3.0 port in the front of the RT-AC87U router in attempt to use it as a network drive - not detected at all when I look at the ASUS router admin page.

It works when I connect it to the USB2.0 port behind. (but obviously transfer feed is slow it's not useful)

I tried my 2Tb Seagate Backup+ portable Slim ext HDD on the USB3.0 port of the router and it works.

Seen some advice on toggling the "Reduce USB3.0 interference" - mine was already disabled from the start. But I tried enabling then disabling it but still the same.

I've tried formatting the 4Tb HDD to exFAT (can't be read I understood later), NTFS, HFS+ but to no avail.

I've returned the drive now (Singapore has a 7 day exchange policy) and need to exchange it for something else.

Would you suggest trying a different desktop ext HDD like Western Digital My Book? (Wirecutter reviews say the transfer speed is lower)
Or should I consider an NAS?

My primary reason for hooking up the ext HDD to the router is to use it as a network drive to backup all the data from my Windows desktop and my MacBook Pro. I want to shift my iTunes and photo library onto it as well. I don't really need to be able to access the data from outside.

Thanks in advance!

My primary reason for hooking up the ext HDD to the router is to use it as a network drive to backup all the data from my Windows desktop and my MacBook Pro. I want to shift my iTunes and photo library onto it as well. I don't really need to be able to access the data from outside.
Get a dedicated NAS. The router will make a poor NAS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!