What's new

RT-AC87U blocking ftp connections to WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rainman110

New Around Here
I have two RT-AC87U routers running Merlin 384.13. They are both blocking all ftp connections (from my laptop & webcams) to WAN ftp servers in the cloud. Oddly, I also have two RT-AC68U routers running 384.13, configured exactly the same, and they are not blocking ftp connections. I am at a loss to figure out what is causing the issue. This started some weeks ago, without making any changes to settings, so I'm not sure what version of Merlin I was on when this problem first appeared. Otherwise, the 87U's are running normally. Any ideas where to look? I experimented with turning off the firewall, but it made no difference.

I'm able to work around it with my laptop by using a vpn, but I'd really like to fix the issue.

Do all 4 of these routers have their own separate internet feeds? Do they each have a public IP address?

Use the Filezilla client on your laptop and set the debug level to "Info". Then try connecting again and looking for clues in the message log.

Untitled.png

You could also try connecting to a different FTP server for comparison, e.g. speedtest.tele2.net

Use the Filezilla client on your laptop and set the debug level to "Info". Then try connecting again and looking for clues in the message log.

View attachment 18998

You could also try connecting to a different FTP server for comparison, e.g. speedtest.tele2.net
Thanks for the suggestions, will give those a try.

The other thing I tried was swapping out one of the AC87U's for an older N56U I had laying around, also running Merlin and configured the same as the AC87U. The ftp connections ran normally over the N56U. So it must be something specific with the AC87U's.

Try a factory reset, it might help.