What's new

RT-AC87U cannot see IP 192.168.1.200 ethernet printer (MacOS)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ifonit

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have an AC87U router which distributes WiFi at the office. MacOS Sierra, Asus FW 378.55 AsusWRT-Merlin.

Printer Konica-Minolta Bizhub 224e.

The WAN ethernet port of the router is wired to an ethernet switch, where also a Konica Minolta laser printer is connected through ethernet cable. The printer static address is 192.168.1.200.

The problem is that I cannot see the printer from my mac via WiFi (I cannot use the ethernet cable to connect it to the internet nor to the router). I cannot see it neither on the printer system's preferences (trying to add the printer) nor from Safari or Firefox browser.

The printer is configured to use Bonjour and AirPrint.

Now, using another wifi router, I can see it and print. So something in my router's config is wrong, cannot understand why despite I looked everywhere.

Do you have any idea about what could block my Mac to see the printer?

Thanks in advance.

well that is an ancient firmware for the AC87U. Try to upgrade to latest version (be aware that you need to reset it to defaults and re-setup from scratch... not the backup file) and get back to us if after re-setting it at E.G. 380.63_2 (12-Nov-2016) or the latest 380.64_beta2 the issue is still present

Cheers,
Ank

Nope, no way. I updated to 380.63_2 from Administration>firmware update (despite it kept the wifi and WAN config) but 192.168.1.200 is still invisible.

Why do you put your printer on the same network as the WAN port?

If your router is setup as a router (ie. it routes between 2 different networks/subnets), your LAN and WAN are in different subnets, which could explain why none of your LAN devices can see it.

Move your printer to a LAN port or to a switch behind a LAN port and you should see it.

In your current setup, only devices on the WAN switch or network can see your printer (and only if they are all in the same subnet).

The reason why it works with the other router is probably because your are using a LAN port and not the WAN port for your printer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you put your printer on the same network as the WAN port?

If your router is setup as a router (ie. it routes between 2 different networks/subnets), your LAN and WAN are in different subnets, which could explain why none of your LAN devices can see it.

Move your printer to a LAN port or to a switch behind a LAN port and you should see it.

In your current setup, only devices on the WAN switch or network can see your printer (and only if they are all in the same subnet).

The reason why it works with the other router is probably because your are using a LAN port and not the WAN port for your printer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your help.

Said that the printer never changed its connection (same cable, same switch, same port on the switch) and that it is visible from the ethernet connected computers, I connected the AC87U on the WAN port because this is required to connect to the internet, according the user's manual.

The AC87U router is setup as wireless router (first option on the left into the admin tab); another detail is that the IPs are static, not dynamic.
The LAN is the classic 192.168.1.1 (router's address).

Last detail: the modem cable (so the internet connection) is shared from the physical modem to the ethernet switch. On this destination switch, there are the ethernet connections of the wifi router and the printer.

Sorry but I'm not experienced about networks. Can I connect the wifi router to the internet using a LAN port instead of the WAN, setting a dynamic (or static) IP address?