What's new

RT-AC87u End Of Life.....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VANT

Very Senior Member
I have info from asus that RT-AC87u go to End Of Life, so no new fw, no support.
For me it's extreamly joke, And if this is true i will never buy any asus product.

Last edited:
For me it's extreamly joke, And if this is true i will never buy any asus product.

You realize that the Netgear R7500, which used the same Quantenna chipset as the RT-AC87U, was abandonned by Netgear within a year of its release, right?

Grass ain't greener elsewhere, far from it...

You realize that the Netgear R7500, which used the same Quantenna chipset as the RT-AC87U, was abandonned by Netgear within a year of its release, right?

really ? latest fw for 7500 is from the end of December 2017.

Asus supported the QSR chipset much longer that other OEM's...

I can understand that they're saying enough is enough - it's no new stuff released from Asus, but that does not prevent LTS support from the 3rd party volunteers that contribute their time and effort.

I've got an AC87U and I have to say I am a bit disappointed that it won't get the AIMesh firmware (which became fairly obvious on the beta thread) but I'm not really sore at Asus because this was never promised (or even thought about) when I bought it. It still performs the job that it was bought for so I can't really complain. Obviously if it stopped working then I'd feel very differently but I don't think it's really fair to criticise Asus for their failure to add new features.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick and if this is just going to stop working soon then I stand corrected but I don't think that is the case. Is it?

Good grief! You mean the terrible experiment is finally over?!

I've got an AC87U and I have to say I am a bit disappointed that it won't get the AIMesh firmware (which became fairly obvious on the beta thread)

What models are going to be supported?
RT-AC68U, RT-AC1900P, RT-AC86U will be supported first, and we are planning to
support GT-AC5300, RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U, RT-AC3200 in near future.
Later, RT-AC87U, RT-AC66U series, RT-AC1750, BlueCave, Lyra and DSL-AC68U will join
this family as well.

really ? latest fw for 7500 is from the end of December 2017.

Netgear dropped the R7500 and replaced it with an R7500V2, which doesn't use the disastrous Quantenna radio.

What I'm saying is, you're looking at a special case here (their only Quantenna-based model, that has been dropped by every other manufacturers like a hot potato.) The RT-N66U was released in 2012 and still got firmware updates in 2017. The RT-N16 was released in 2009, and Asus only just dropped it in 2017.

When it comes to long-term support, Asus' track record shows that they support their models for a longer period of time than most of their competitors. So if long term support is your goal, dropping Asus will leave you highly disappointed by the rest...

Netgear dropped the R7500 and replaced it with an R7500V2, which doesn't use the disastrous Quantenna radio.

What I'm saying is, you're looking at a special case here (their only Quantenna-based model, that has been dropped by every other manufacturers like a hot potato.) The RT-N66U was released in 2012 and still got firmware updates in 2017. The RT-N16 was released in 2009, and Asus only just dropped it in 2017.

When it comes to long-term support, Asus' track record shows that they support their models for a longer period of time than most of their competitors. So if long term support is your goal, dropping Asus will leave you highly disappointed by the rest...

Yes, and that doesn't change the fact that this is still a joke, the QSR1000 is a current product in Quantenna's portfolio, the chipset works well with uptime of months, and clients connect time in the thousands of hours for me. So now they will leave the product with unpatched security vulnerabilities because they are understaffed and prefer to release millions of newer buggy models, instead of working on a few things and getting them right. I really hope that VANT's source proves to be unreliable.

Whatever happened to the 5 years of firmware upgrades that were promised on Asus' website a while back. If this proves to be accurate I'm moving to enterprise gear when this unit fails as consumer wifi is a joke, first my Linksys EA4500 which only outlasted the warranty by 2 months, now this Asus.

ASUS can consider the problem of not fixing Quantenna chipset, but why doesn't the new function give it to the experience?

the QSR1000 is a current product in Quantenna's portfolio

Do they still provide any software update for it? Because through the past two years Asus has released numerous firmware updates to the RT-AC87U (some public and some private), and there has been no driver/SDK update from Quantenna themselves in these.

I have info from asus that RT-AC87u go to End Of Life, so no new fw, no support.

End of Life does not mean End of Support - just means that it's no longer being manufactured...

If you look at Asus Official End of Life Product list, you'll find that the RT-AC87U is not on that list as of Jan 5, 2018... besides, it's essentially been replaced by similar products in the Product Line.

https://www.asus.com/event/network/EOL-product/

When a product is end-of-life, it means:

• It is no longer manufactured
  • Its certification will not be renewed
  • Its website, DM, QSG and manual will not be updated
  • It may be replaced by a new product with updated hardware and similar functions
If the product/version1 you are looking for is end-of-life, it is recommended to purchase the latest version or other similar models2. However, an EOL will not change the limited warranty period for hardware.

Yes sfx2000, you are probably right and nothing is official yet as it's not on that list. I'm hoping it will be moved to the new codebase eventually, or at the very least receive security fixes. It wouldn't make sense for older flagships to outlast this model (Quantenna chip or not).

If you look at Asus Official End of Life Product list, you'll find that the RT-AC87U is not on that list as of Jan 5, 2018...

Must say I'm not sure this list is entirely up-to-date. I know of one model which is now EOL (was confirmed to me by an Asus PM), and I don't see it on that list yet.

(and no, it's not the RT-AC87U).