What's new

RT-AC87U Firmware Restoration not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

El Mariachi

Occasional Visitor
HI Guys,

My RT-AC87U after a few minutes of running gets this death light scenario where the power light us on, the Ethernet port light is on and the internet light is half on and in red.

I have tried:
1. TFTP stock firmware on - Router doesn't respond to TFTP
2. GUI firmware load - Can't get the unit to stay in normal boot long enough to allow me to
3. Restoration tool - Fails at 82% like clockwork. I kick off the upload prior to putting it in rescue mode and I have also tried Chrome, firefox, IE11, and Edge as my browsers. I cant get the unit to respond to a ping of 192.168.1.1 -t either.

Any ideas?

I kick off the upload prior to putting it in rescue mode

This (if correct) is NOT how you use the ASUS Recovery Tool.

1) Download the recovery tool for your device.

2) Download and unzip a copy of the latest official firmware

3) Reset the router using the hidden reset button

4) Set the router in recovery mode and launch the ASUS recovery tool , pointing it to the ASUS firmware you want to flash.

You do not start uploads and then enter recovery mode.

Recovery Tool Instructions from ASUS

This (if correct) is NOT how you use the ASUS Recovery Tool.

1) Download the recovery tool for your device.

2) Download and unzip a copy of the latest official firmware

3) Reset the router using the hidden reset button

4) Set the router in recovery mode and launch the ASUS recovery tool , pointing it to the ASUS firmware you want to flash.

You do not start uploads and then enter recovery mode.

Recovery Tool Instructions from ASUS

Hi @AndreiV When I do it that way I end up at about 35% before it fails.

I'd like to clarify also that the process of doing it in reverse like I describe above is based on a recommendation by @RMerlin I found in another thread.

It might also be worth mentioning that ports 1 and 2 don't respond and only 3 and 4 do. Does this indicate a hardware failure?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!