What's new

RT-AC87U: meaning of enable vpn + dhcp connection parameter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GSpock

Hi All,
can someone explain the meaning of this parameter:
Enable vpn + dhcp connection

on the WAN settings screen.

Thanks,
GS

Hi All,
can someone explain the meaning of this parameter:
Enable vpn + dhcp connection

on the WAN settings screen.

This is used by a few Russian ISPs such as Beeline, which will require obtaining a private DHCP lease from the ISP's private network, after which they will establish a PPTP connection with the ISP to provide the Internet access.

Thanks RMerlin!

With Bell Fiber, using router as PPPoE client, I had connection issues when this setting is set to Yes

Since there is vpn+dhcp connection? Why not something like vpn+static connection (so that I can assign a static private ip address).

With Bell Fiber, using router as PPPoE client, I had connection issues when this setting is set to Yes

Yeah Bell doesn't like that setting!

In case anyone else has suffered for years like me as a consequence of this setting, I thought it's worth mentioning that Bigpipe in New Zealand does not like the "Enable VPN + DHCP Connection" option set to Yes either. For the last few years, I have lived with it taking ages to reconnect to the internet after each router reboot, with a series of system log messages like "services: apply rules error" and "Timeout waiting for PADO packets". I never had the courage to mess around with the "Special Requirement from ISP" settings, since I did not fully understand them. I mustered up some courage a few days ago and found that just toggling this switch to No appears to resolve this issue. Sigh...

I have the RT-AC68U and this setting was the culprit behind CPU 1 being pegged at 100%. Disabled it and CPU usage immediately dropped to a few percent. No idea why it only became an issue today.