What's new

RT-AC87U - Media Bridge - RP-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snbdora

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I've a RP-AC68U in Media Bridge mode with the main router RT-AC87U. In the RP web UI, I see both bands are connected to the main router ( Parent AP ). However only 2.4GHz band seems to have the traffic and 5GHz doesn't carry any traffic. I tried to re-configure the RP in the Media bridge mode only with 5GHz ( skipped 2.4GHz) but the status remains the same as I stated above.

Any idea?

Thanks

Hello, I have also tested media bridge mode and observed similar things as you describe. The repeater seems to decide which bands to use depending on various factors and bandwidth demand. Overall it seems like doing a good job even if it *seems* like not using one band... which may be quite stable unless conditions change (interferences or more demand,..) at which point you may very well find it starting to use the other one.

Thank you. It does seem like that way. Maybe RP doesn't allow to use only specific band you want to connect with the Parent AP when you set it up although it does ask you do so.

Can you or someone do me a favor and check/confirm one more thing for me?
In the Asus Router app, I don't see the devices connected to the RP in the Media bridge mode.

Thanks

So today I had to reboot the RT-AC87U. Now the RP-68U is selecting 5Ghz band to talk to it. The 2.4GHz on RP remains in the roaming mode per logs. I suspect the problem is at the RT-87U which is contributing this behavior. This is what I see in the system log on RP -

Code:
Jun  2 11:48:34 kernel: IQ Calibrate
Jun  2 11:48:34 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
Jun  2 11:48:39 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
Jun  2 11:48:44 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
Jun  2 11:48:49 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
Jun  2 11:48:54 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
Jun  2 11:48:59 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
Jun  2 11:49:04 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
Jun  2 11:49:10 kernel: IQ Calibrate
Jun  2 11:49:10 kernel: wl0: WPA-none PSK authentication in progress...
Jun  2 11:49:10 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
Jun  2 11:49:16 kernel: wl0: A STA is rejected by 802.1x daemon - aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
Jun  2 11:49:16 kernel: IQ Calibrate
Jun  2 11:49:22 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
Jun  2 11:49:26 kernel: wl0: WPA-none PSK authentication in progress...
Jun  2 11:49:27 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
Jun  2 11:49:32 kernel: wl0: A STA is rejected by 802.1x daemon - aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
Jun  2 11:49:33 kernel: IQ Calibrate

The mac address is off the RT-87U.

Perhaps the reason is that "repeater" functionality is incompatible with the 5GHz QTN chipset RT-AC87U has and RP-AC68U ( Realtek ) . That's what only 2.4Ghz is being used in this combo.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!