1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC87U - Media Bridge - RP-AC68U

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by snbdora, Mar 13, 2018.

1. snbdora

snbdora Regular Contributor

Hi,

I've a RP-AC68U in Media Bridge mode with the main router RT-AC87U. In the RP web UI, I see both bands are connected to the main router ( Parent AP ). However only 2.4GHz band seems to have the traffic and 5GHz doesn't carry any traffic. I tried to re-configure the RP in the Media bridge mode only with 5GHz ( skipped 2.4GHz) but the status remains the same as I stated above.

Any idea?

Thanks

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. FTC

FTC Regular Contributor

Hello, I have also tested media bridge mode and observed similar things as you describe. The repeater seems to decide which bands to use depending on various factors and bandwidth demand. Overall it seems like doing a good job even if it *seems* like not using one band... which may be quite stable unless conditions change (interferences or more demand,..) at which point you may very well find it starting to use the other one.

4. snbdora

Thank you. It does seem like that way. Maybe RP doesn't allow to use only specific band you want to connect with the Parent AP when you set it up although it does ask you do so.

Can you or someone do me a favor and check/confirm one more thing for me?
    In the Asus Router app, I don't see the devices connected to the RP in the Media bridge mode.

Thanks

5. snbdora

So today I had to reboot the RT-AC87U. Now the RP-68U is selecting 5Ghz band to talk to it. The 2.4GHz on RP remains in the roaming mode per logs. I suspect the problem is at the RT-87U which is contributing this behavior. This is what I see in the system log on RP -

Code:
    Jun  2 11:48:34 kernel: IQ Calibrate
    Jun  2 11:48:34 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
    Jun  2 11:48:39 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
    Jun  2 11:48:44 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
    Jun  2 11:48:49 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
    Jun  2 11:48:54 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
    Jun  2 11:48:59 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
    Jun  2 11:49:04 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
    Jun  2 11:49:10 kernel: IQ Calibrate
    Jun  2 11:49:10 kernel: wl0: WPA-none PSK authentication in progress...
    Jun  2 11:49:10 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
    Jun  2 11:49:16 kernel: wl0: A STA is rejected by 802.1x daemon - aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
    Jun  2 11:49:16 kernel: IQ Calibrate
    Jun  2 11:49:22 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
    Jun  2 11:49:26 kernel: wl0: WPA-none PSK authentication in progress...
    Jun  2 11:49:27 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1 with own address as source address
    Jun  2 11:49:32 kernel: wl0: A STA is rejected by 802.1x daemon - aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
    Jun  2 11:49:33 kernel: IQ Calibrate

The mac address is off the RT-87U.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!