What's new

RT-AC87U - Misconfiguration ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Laurent Taieb

New Around Here
Hi, I have my ASUS RT-AC87U underneath my broadband router.
I have de-activated the DHCP server from the broadband router and set fixed lan address on the broadband router (192.168.1.1) and a fixed wan one on the RT-AC87U (1.92.168.1.2).
The RT-AC87U keeps the DHCP server functionality.
2 issues:
- I'm getting an error message on the router that the WAN address doesn't match the external one.
- I can ping the smtp address of my ISP but I can't send emails or connect it using telnet.

Any views ?

some more info.
My ISP smtp server doesn't respond when I connect it via telnet (whatever port) from the router.
When I connect my laptop to the ISP modem router, my ISP smtp server responds..
Has anyone some idea ?

Do you have a transparent mode on your broadband router if so I'd use it. What do you have configured for your gateway?

I have not a Transparent Mode parameter on the RT-67. Does it exist ?
My Gateway is actually the LAN port of my ISP router.

The transparent mode might be an option on your ISP's modem or something they might be able to enable from their side.

Apparently, the only thing I can do is to set up their box as a Bridge or as a Router.
Right now, it's set up as a Router.
It's pretty weird as the whole stuff works when my PC connects a VPN..

Then configure the ISP equipment as bridge and let Asus to be the only router in your network.
After you bridge it, Asus should get a public ip address on its WAN interface.
Now you're doing double NAT, once on Asus and once on ISP router, and this is a really annoying setup and complex to troubleshoot.

- I'm getting an error message on the router that the WAN address doesn't match the external one.

after the latest firmware, i get this same error message. i didnt change anyhing and everything is working fine. dont know why im getting this error message.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!