What's new

RT-AC87U - missing smart connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mare007

New Around Here
Hello, I'm new on this forum and recently bought RT-AC87U.

It's perfect to me, except for missing "smart connect" function, which I was used with former TpLink router (I would like to use effectively the same SSID for 2.4 GHz and also 5GHz) .

Is there any chance that Asus firmware (maybe Merlin) will implement it some day it in the future or it's better to forget this option?

Mare

It's perfect to me, except for missing "smart connect" function, which I was used with former TpLink router (I would like to use effectively the same SSID for 2.4 GHz and also 5GHz) .

Is there any chance that Asus firmware (maybe Merlin) will implement it some day it in the future or it's better to forget this option?

Mare

I suspect it's missing Smart Connect because it's not a part of the hardware.

OE

Mare

If by "smart connect" you mean WPS*, then go to Wireless > [WPS] > click enable and you're set. That said, WPS does present serious security issues and should generally remain turned off. If you need — or want — to use it for some reason be certain to turn it back off after you finish your connection(s). You really don't want to leave that ON and unattended. For more information about WPS,

Sky

*WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) provides easy and secure establishment of a wireless network. You can configure WPS here via the PIN code or the WPS buttton. For more information and a primer on WPS, refer to this Wikipedia article.

I meant Smart Connect (router decides which frequency will assign to device (2,4 or 5 GHz, same SSID).

1603780147926.png

Mare

Smart Connect was never a feature of that router.

The RT-AC87U is an old router and at end of life, there will never be any further development and Merlin has this router on " life support" ie. security patches only.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!