1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC87U/R: Cooling solutions

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by DaveMishSr, Jun 6, 2015.

1. DaveMishSr

DaveMishSr Very Senior Member

I saw a suggestion in another thread about starting a new thread featuring the cooling solutions hit upon by each individual user. So, in that interest, here is the photo of my fabricated cooling system for my AC87R using paper towel tubes (empty of course), Popsicle sticks, cardboard (heavy double product used to ship LED TV's works best) and a $3 USB laptop cooling fan (purchased on eBay):

High rise router rack 2.jpg

It may look silly but my temps before active cooling were, on average:

2.4 GHz: 48°C | 5 GHz: 58°C | CPU: 78°C

and my current temps are:

2.4 GHz: 41°C | 5 GHz: 47°C | CPU: 54°C.

Let's see those pictures!

2. tim

tim Regular Contributor

My effort is bit lame compared to your engineering wonder ;)

Lego! Stolen from my son's large collection.

Current temps: CPU: 66C | 2.4G: 49.5C | 5G-1: 49C | 5G-2: 51.5C 20150605_125420.jpg

DaveMishSr likes this.
  3. oric1

oric1 Regular Contributor

I'm using Cooler Master NOTEPAL X-SLIM II.

Can't hear the 200mm fan motor spinning. It's dead silence.

Before
    2.4GHz = 50°C | 5GHz = 72°C | CPU = 92°C

After
    2.4GHz = 42°C | 5GHz = 56°C | CPU = 65°C

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  4. hggomes

hggomes Very Senior Member

[​IMG]

DaveMishSr likes this.
  5. cmillar6

cmillar6 Senior Member

Were you having stability issues with these temps?? The cpu on my 68P has not seen a day below 80C and its perfectly stable. I only reboot it when its flashed with new Merlin firmware.

6. hggomes

hggomes Very Senior Member

Those chips can handle temperatures up to 125º, the datasheet shows it.

No need at all cooling it down, but obviously the cooler it is the better :)

Attached Files:

• bcm.png
      bcm.png
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    VANT and RTN like this.
  7. Stach

Stach Occasional Visitor

Well, I have been thinking about cooling down my AC3200 as well, even though some say that you don't need to, it should extend the life of the unit. I was finally inspired by you guys after seeing your solutions and digging through my spare parts to piece together the following:

- 12v Panaflow low-speed / quiet desktop case fan (spare I had laying around)
    - USB cable (spare I had laying around)
    - wire mesh paper tray (spare as my wife is a teacher)

My AC3200 is in a basement storage room and here are temperature readings after 3 different setups:

Setup 2.4Ghz 5Ghz CPU
    1) 52C 49C 72C
    2) 49C 47C 68C
    3) 42C 39C 52C

1 = Passive installation on top of a plastic storage bin
    2 = Passive installation on top of the wire mesh paper tray
    3 = Active installation on top of wire mesh paper tray with Panaflow fan barely blowing from underneath (since the 12v fan is running at 5v)

Here's a couple pics of the final setup...
    DSC_1136_Fotor.jpg
    DSC_1137_Fotor.jpg

DaveMishSr likes this.
  8. DaveMishSr

My AC87R was known to throw a fit every once in a while because I am convinced it was overheating (or heat was somehow an issue). Now, between the Guard Frogs, Attack Monkey and my $3 USB fan, and the cron job that reboots it at 5:15am each day, it never drops any connections, ever.

9. DaveMishSr

I so love that solution! Especially as I must have ~10k Lego pieces from when the kids were little. The grand kids love playing with those stupid Legos every bit as much as their parents did, as did I myself.

10. brusyev

brusyev Regular Contributor

Did you or anyone you know tried applying quality thermal paste on to cpu and 5Ghz antenna? Did it make a difference? My CPU temp is averaging at 82C...

11. VANT

VANT Very Senior Member

thermal paste do not make a big difference.

12. Embattle

Embattle Regular Contributor

I don't even know what temperature my 87 is running at and nor do I care since it works whatever it currently is.

13. mattiL

mattiL Regular Contributor

Is there actually anyone that have seen problems in RT-AC87 relating to high or elevated temperatures?

I'm running Merlin 378.55 and I had to power off the router after approximately 10 days uptime as my family complained at poor performance on the 2.4GHz network.
    A reboot did not help.

I did suspect too high temperatures, but my router was running at 45/55/78C, so quite normal.

14. System Error Message

System Error Message Part of the Furniture

high temperatures are normal to the CPU, not to the other components on the board. Due to the way its designed with nowhere for heat to go it will just collect and heat up the other components on the board. Wifi chips do not like being above 50C all the time which is where wifi instability can start to happen. The other components on the board are rated to operate up to 60C. If your PC motherboard showed 60C it would be very worrying whereas x86 motherboards usually operate between 40-50C when used in a normal environment. All my networking gear that show motherboard temperatures report 47C in a rack which were made for 24/7 operation and wifi routers are usually left on all the time. The premature deaths of asus routers are caused by either a bad psu or overheating of the other board components.

ASUS really needs to redesign their cooling and increase their quality control. Even to consumers networking hardware is left turned on all the time.

15. snbdora

snbdora Regular Contributor

Does anyone if there is a jack/socket for hooking up a fan on the PCB or any possibility of adding an internal fan?

I'm going to look for it but thought to ask here in case someone has looked for it already?

Thanks

16. EsquireKnight

EsquireKnight New Around Here

I placed an AC Infinity AI-MPF120A (120mm USB Fan) underneath my RT-AC87. The running temps are 2.4 GHz: 39°C - 5 GHz: 57°C - CPU: 67°C. With the USB fan, Merlin's firmware, and the daily reboot script, this router is running pretty smoothly.

DaveMishSr likes this.
  17. pinkfloyd1173

pinkfloyd1173 Senior Member

Getting this installed next week, funny thing is that it still wont make the router work properly 2008-08-23_Durham_Regional_Hospital_air_conditioner.jpg

18. snb008

snb008 Occasional Visitor

I suppose you can use the rear USB 2.0 port or the front USB 3.0 port to supply power to an external USB fan, if those ports have no other usage.

I am using an external USB fan to blow air in the West-East direction through the side grills. Temp is around 40C/50C/63C (ambient temp ~30C).

19. shez

shez Regular Contributor

[​IMG]

120mm cooler master fan powered off the USB 2.0 port. Tried the same with the AC87U and didn't get anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Very Senior Member

Classic !!!! :p :D