What's new

RT-AC87U reboot when netword is satured ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

babao60

New Around Here
Hello,

First of all, sorry for my bad english... I turn to you today because I have a problem with my router RT-AC87U. I have a HP Gen8 mini server on my local network with OMV installed on it, I want to save on OMV all data from my computer. I have a Samba share and I make a copy of my computer to the shared folder, my problem is that when I run the copy, the router restart every 15 minutes, here are the logs of the router, it restarted around 9:00:00 :

https://pastebin.com/33TXL2GV

I used the Firmware : 380.69

thank you for your help ;)

Try reformatting the JFFS partition.

Aug 1 02:00:22 kernel: JFFS2 notice: (351) check_node_data: wrong data CRC in data node at 0x00347718: read 0x295d23e9, calculated 0xd6d6cd22.

Administration > System > Persistent JFFS2 partition > Format JFFS partition at next boot

Thank you for you help, i have try to reformatting the JFFS partition but i have allways the same problem...
The last message before rebooting is :
Dec 23 17:55:31 QTN: QTN connection lost[169.254.39.23][169.254.39.27]

The last message before rebooting is :
Dec 23 17:55:31 QTN: QTN connection lost[169.254.39.23][169.254.39.27]
Looks like you might be onto something.

The reboot appears to be caused by the watchdog process. It checks whether it can ping the Quantenna Wi-Fi system and if it can't it reboots the router.

ok so if i understand well my problem come from this :

if(icmp_check(src_ip, dst_ip) == 0 ){
failed++;
if(failed > 2){
logmessage("QTN", "QTN connection lost[%s][%s]", src_ip, dst_ip);
system("reboot &");
}
}
waiting = 0;
return;
}

but what can i do ? i don't understand... :(

but what can i do ? i don't understand...

It means the Quantenna CPU (which runs its own firmware) stopped working, probably because it crashed. You can try a factory default reset, otherwise it would indicate a hardware failure.

It means the Quantenna CPU (which runs its own firmware) stopped working, probably because it crashed. You can try a factory default reset, otherwise it would indicate a hardware failure.
Just a thought, but if this only happens when the network is saturated could it be that Quantenna CPU hasn't crashed but is just slow/unresponsive to the pings?

Actually, I think there is an error in that code. It looks like they are looking for 3 successive fails on the check routine, but they never reset the fail counter on a success.

Just a thought, but if this only happens when the network is saturated could it be that Quantenna CPU hasn't crashed but is just slow/unresponsive to the pings?

Depends how long they wait for the response. I'd be surprised if a timeout would occur accross a 1 GBps RGMII link however. It could be the QTN crashed under the load.

Actually, I think there is an error in that code. It looks like they are looking for 3 successive fails on the check routine, but they never reset the fail counter on a success.

That wouldn't surprise me, considering their past track record... Might be worth taking a look, especially if the issue seem to be more common in more recent firmware releases (where that watchdog code was added).

That wouldn't surprise me, considering their past track record... Might be worth taking a look, especially if the issue seem to be more common in more recent firmware releases (where that watchdog code was added).
Well, the code was added back in 2016...but I still think it may be incomplete. If @babao60 wants to try, I did a test fix
RT-AC87U_380.69_1-g54e17d846.zip
Download: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ainhp1nBLzMJkCFLXQsNc9_C3Ye_

I'm testing that test firmware right now.... Lets see if it helps.
As a newcomer to the thread, I'm not sure what problem you are having. But the test code only potentially addresses a reboot following a message similar to
QTN: QTN connection lost[169.254.39.23][169.254.39.27]

Thank you all for your help. I made a reset of the router and reloaded my backup. I am now saving my files to OMV for about 5 hours and I have not rebooted for now, I hope my problem is solved now !

I just made Factory default>Restore/Save/Upload Setting>Factory default, reboot and then Factory default>Restore/Save/Upload Setting>Restore setting with my file backup

I just made Factory default>Restore/Save/Upload Setting>Factory default, reboot and then Factory default>Restore/Save/Upload Setting>Restore setting with my file backup
OK. That's interesting.

If your problem was a configuration error then what you did shouldn't have changed anything, because you've just restored exactly the same settings that you had before. Or was your backup taken some time ago?

I made my backup just before made the factory reset so i don't think it was a problem from my setting, however, some parameters have not been restored correctly, such as WAN and my Manual Assignment DHCP, i don't know if it's normal

It will indeed reboot if there are three totally separate incidents. This should make it only reboot if three consecutive pings failed, making it less likely to get triggered by a false positive.

Code:
diff --git a/release/src/router/rc/watchdog.c b/release/src/router/rc/watchdog.c
index ae6f13c..30ab56d 100644
--- a/release/src/router/rc/watchdog.c
+++ b/release/src/router/rc/watchdog.c
@@ -2719,6 +2719,8 @@ void qtn_module_check(void)
                        logmessage("QTN", "QTN connection lost[%s][%s]", src_ip, dst_ip);
                        system("reboot &");
                }
+       } else {
+               failed = 0;
        }
        waiting = 0;

It will indeed reboot if there are three totally separate incidents. This should make it only reboot if three consecutive pings failed, making it less likely to get triggered by a false positive.
Exactly the change I made in the test build I posted earlier:)