What's new

RT-AC87U Repeater mode...?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blak24

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,
Just installed this new firmware, the latest one, for my RT-AC87U hoping for the Repeater mode.. But I can't find it, there are the three modes available as the default ASUS firmware: Router, AP, Bridge. Is this ok? I read on the AsusWRT Merlin website that there should also be the Repeater mode.. Can someone please explain me?
Thank you!

Hello everyone,
Just installed this new firmware, the latest one, for my RT-AC87U hoping for the Repeater mode.. But I can't find it, there are the three modes available as the default ASUS firmware: Router, AP, Bridge. Is this ok? I read on the AsusWRT Merlin website that there should also be the Repeater mode.. Can someone please explain me?
Thank you!
Media Bridge is what your after.

But if you can get an Ethernet cable to it from your main one. I'd just set it up as an Access Point

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I tried media bridge but that only offers Ethernet connection after, while I would also like to get both WiFi and Ethernet connection

It's possible that Repeater mode might not be available on the RT-AC87U due to its Quantenna interface.

So you can confirm that the Repeater mode is available for the AC68U or AC86U or AC88U models but not for the AC87U? In that case I may return the 87U and try one of these ones

So you can confirm that the Repeater mode is available for the AC68U or AC86U or AC88U models but not for the AC87U? In that case I may return the 87U and try one of these ones

Correct.

Unfortunately I can not return my RT87U.... Are there any firmware to use my RT87U as a repeater mode?

Thank you very much.

No, unless Asus recently added it. It's a technical limitation of the RT-AC87U because it uses a separate radio and firmware for the 5 GHz band.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!