What's new

RT-AC87U - USB3 jams 2.4Ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mr.Smith

Occasional Visitor
Actually i thought USB3 interferences on 2.4Ghz band is no deal with the Asus RT-AC87U because it´s USB3 port is in the front and therefore "far away" from it´s antennas.

Yesterday i plugged in an USB3 stick und enabled the media server. From this point i got several (admittedly difficult) spots in my house where reception did not change (still 1-2 bars on iphone/ipad) but no data transfer is possible. if i unplug the USB3 stick everything is like before.

Do i have any chance for improvement without throttling to USB2?

Buy a NAS, I did after spending ~8 months saying to myself "I am not spending a dime on something that my $300 router is supposed to do", and let me tell you, it was the best purchase I have made in years "hands down"
I have a QNAP but there are others out there, works faster and does lots more than these routes will ever do, I love my NAS!!!

both the AC87U and the AC3200 have USB3 at different locations to help wth interference. The NAS speeds and the speeds of usb sticks (writing) arent fast enough to need usb3 so you can use usb2 instead. To test connect via wire and download a file and check it's speed and if you can get 120MB/s than it is usb3 but if you're getting 80MB/s or less than you dont need usb3. USB3 has its purpose on a router but NAS kills performance. If you used the native linux file system it would be a lot faster rather than fat32 or ntfs.

I already own a (QNAP TS-210) NAS... since it need some minutes to start and get the Twonky (DLNA server) Running i´d like the ASUS with a 128 GB USB stick for quick access. I was also very impressed of speed rates of the ASUS RT-AC87U - definitely not far behind my QNAP.

If there is no other chance i will probably throttle the ASUS to USB 2.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!