What's new

RT-AC87U wifi low speed and ping lossing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

michal.

New Around Here
Hello,

I've noticed that after update my router AC87U to 384.13 (and now to 384.13_1) I'm having problem with both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi network.

When i ping router i have huge unstable latency and every 10-30s ping losses (on 2.4 GHz is not that bad as on 5 GHz)

Second thing - on speed test i can achieve max 60 Mb/s (I have 300 MB/s on wire connection).

Problem is on every device i have in office - distance to router is max 25m and its only 1 thin drywall.

PS. Also after every update to newest firmware - VPN server stop working (on settings page in router - device show that server is working but it's not. To start VPN again i must disable and reenable VPN server - then its OK again)

Attachments

• Fota 2019081413 2492.png
    Fota 2019081413 2492.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 274
Hi, I also have an AC87U running 384.13_1 and it's running fine, I've just done a speedtest over the 5Ghz radio and I got 492 Mbps (from nearby the router), ping is also fine. Also I don't have the VPN server issue after firmware updates.

Which firmware have you upgraded from? Has it been long since you did a factory reset? If I had those problems I'd first double check the wifi settings to make sure they are all ok then I'd try a factory reset and reconfiguration from scratch.

Also check out this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/5-ghz-connection-speeds-on-384-13.57918/

Hi, I also have an AC87U running 384.13_1 and it's running fine, I've just done a speedtest over the 5Ghz radio and I got 492 Mbps (from nearby the router), ping is also fine. Also I don't have the VPN server issue after firmware updates.

Which firmware have you upgraded from? Has it been long since you did a factory reset? If I had those problems I'd first double check the wifi settings to make sure they are all ok then I'd try a factory reset and reconfiguration from scratch.

Also check out this thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/5-ghz-connection-speeds-on-384-13.57918/

Hello,

I've reset router to factory defaults and reconfigure everything from scratches. For ow VPN work fine even after reeboot also i thing speed of VPN is much smoother.
Speed over 5G network is now ~250Mb/s in the farthest point in office so improvement is huge.

Thank you for your help grifo !

You are welcome Michal, I'm glad it worked and I'm happy to give back a little of what I've learnt on this forum about these great routers and firmware.

It's recommended to do a factory reset and a manual reconfiguration after upgrading across major firmware revisions, between Asus stock and Merlin firmware or when the router is having problems.

Normally there's no need to do it in other cases. I did it last when I upgraded my AC87U from Merlin 380.70 to 384.7, since then I've flashed every version up to the current 384.13_1, including some alphas and betas, without doing a factory reset and my router is still working perfectly despite doing lots of things with RMerlin's firmware and custom scripts.