What's new

RT-AC88U 2.4Ghz issues with 384.7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Webfeger

New Around Here
Hello,
after updating to 384.7 all 2.4 Wifi connections dropping after few minutes.

in 384.6 there was same issues but it works stable with follow settings:

Wireless Mode: N only
Channel bandwith: 40 Mhz
Modulation Scheme: Up too MCS 7
Multi-User MIMO: Disable

i already tried to change settings but no luck in 384.7. So i take a downgrade to 384.6

Disable airtime fairness, disable all beamfoming, and set the channel manually to 1, 6, or 11 depending on which has the least interference. change the channel bandwidth back to 20 as forcing 40 is likely to cause interference. Use 5ghz band if you want to use 40/80 Mhz bandwidth.

Give that a try and let us know how it worked out.

I'd been using RT-AC88U about a year without any issue with wireless 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. Recently, I thought of giving a try to setup my own cloud storage to save some bucks from those cloud service providers. After couple of weeks weird things happening when my 2.4Ghz starts performing erratically. Symptoms such as access denied, 2.4Ghz signal goes missing, working again by itself after couple of days, disconnections and missing again, all sort of issues with 2.4GHz, you name it...however my 5GHz wireless all seemed to be fine.
Thought of leaving as it is but realized my home wireless IP cameras were affected as it only supports 2.4Ghz :(
Logic suggested that I uninstall the external USB storage in order to isolate the issue but to no avail as the problem now persisted like a one way ticket.
Somehow, I feels that router is much hotter than before but couldn't be too certain about it. Also I realized that every time I rebooted the router, the 2.4Ghz seem to be able to work for a while and then misbehave again.
So I give it a try to fix a cooling fan directly on top of the router ventilation holes supported with double sided tapes on all four edges of the fan (I used a 110~240VAC operated fan about the size of CPU fan to suck hot air from the router).
Been using it for past few days thereafter (together with my AiCould storage restored) and surprisingly the 2.4Ghz wireless issues seem to have gone away silently. Also can feel that the whole router now is just mild hot with the help of a cooling fan.
Just for information, I upgraded to the latest firmware this morning with global firmware version 3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b. Almost another 12 hours now with the latest release and all seem good for now.

Disable airtime fairness, disable all beamfoming, and set the channel manually to 1, 6, or 11 depending on which has the least interference. change the channel bandwidth back to 20 as forcing 40 is likely to cause interference.

OMG Thank you!!!

I have been struggling with smart devices in my home constantly dropping on the 2.4 ghz network from this router. I've even reached out to Asus support to try and solve the issues, but they were difficult to replicate and diagnose. These settings look like they are doing the trick finally!

@usamamus you're replying to an over two-year-old thread. :)

Are you really running RMerlin v384.7 still?

Why don't you better describe your issues and what steps you may have taken to fix them and see if any help can be had then?

Either way; If you're able to return the RT-AC88U for a full refund today, I would. Not because it is a bad router per se, but because we have better (and much newer hardware) choices today (RT-AC86U or the even better RT-AX88U if you can find one at a price that is agreeable to you).

Blindly returning the router though won't help if the issue is with other devices (or settings) on your network though. You may find that the issues persist even with a new router (same or different model).