What's new

RT-AC88U Asuswrt-Merlin cannot reach update server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChadRex

New Around Here
I logged into my router via desktop for the first time since August 2019. ( Usually manage my router through android App)

I notice I did not see the update notification. from Asuswrt-Merlin software for my RT-AC88U running Asus WRT-Merlin

I log into my router via desktop and select Check Update
I get the following message "Temporarily unable to get the latest firmware information. Please try again later."

I went to the download site & see several updates that i was not notified about.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue with Asuswrt-Merlin not being bale to contact update server?

I have read somewhere its best to update in order ( without skipping updates) if I am missing notifications for the updates i would have to log into sourceforge download site & update manually.

I saw an update notification 2 weeks ago then last week it was no longer blinkning (Icon in the web interface).

I can confirm on the message update server is temporarily down right now.

I am on latest FW (AC86 and A68)

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk

....) if I am missing notifications for the updates i would have to log into sourceforge download site & update manually.

Welcome to the forum.

You ALWAYS have to update manually. (There is no automatic updater, and I don’t think anyone would want one.)

It is best not to let too many new versions pass you by before updating for the simple reason that you won’t bother to read all the intermediate changelog entries to see if you need to do anything special, like a mandatory factory reset. Plus it is good practice to keep on top of updates. But you do not need to flash every intermediate version (to bring you up to date), but you should always check the “missing” changelogs for any special instructions that might otherwise get missed.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

You ALWAYS have to update manually. (There is no automatic updater, and I don’t think anyone would want one.)

It is best not to let too many new versions pass you by before updating for the simple reason that you won’t bother to read all the intermediate changelog entries to see if you need to do anything special, like a mandatory factory reset. Plus it is good practice to keep on top of updates. But you do not need to flash every intermediate version (to bring you up to date), but you should always check the “missing” changelogs for any special instructions that might otherwise get missed.

Not sure how to respond to this statement. See, if you look above the router firmware where you click to check firmware update, it says "signature version"....?!!!! That has to be updated along with firmware versions or you can get problems with authentication(s). Exactly like the 1st post @ top, I had not logged in since August, 2019 & the only version my RT-AC3100 had not automatically upgraded to was the 01-01-2020... which I did because it's not connecting to the Merlin server.... but this leaves my signature version (2.152) @ November 28, 2019... which isn't good...

The signature version 'date' is not to be trusted, IME. The version number though can be. :)