What's new

Wireguard RT-AC88U Compatibility

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stick

Occasional Visitor
I've installed the latest firmware, diversion/entware and wireguard manager packages to my RT-AC88U. However, when I run wireguard manager from amtm I get the following message:
Code:
***ERROR: Router RT-AC88U (v386.10_0) is not currently compatible with Wireguard®️!

Is this to be expected?

You need a router with newer CPU and firmware kernel. Your router will be 8-years old model in Oct 2023. This means about 10-years old technology.

I've installed the latest firmware, diversion/entware and wireguard manager packages to my RT-AC88U.
Is this to be expected?
Yes. Did you see the requirements for WireGuard Manager?
Requirements: HND or AX router with Kernel 4.1.xx or later
e.g. RT-AC86U or RT-AX86U etc.
One can see the Asus-Merlin about page for a general list of Asus HND routers:
https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about
The RT-AC88U is apparently not HND, and it is not an AX series router.

Okay .... I thought I'd seen others on the forum using Wireguard with AC88U, but maybe they achieved this without the Wireguard Manager?
Are you sure it was the RT-AC88U and not the RT-AX88U?

Time for RT-AX88U Pro?

Your avatar showing placement of an IC is also the recent history of my AC88U !

I already have 2 x AX88U which are happily linked site2site via wireguard. But my old AC88U had a blown USB power chip. So last week I managed to replace the chip (FR9618) to resurrect the USB ports. This was successful:) (I guess I'll still use it as an AP in my garage ... didn't really need to repair the USB ports for that!)

Cheers

Yes they mistyped it. Very common mistake that people are making, confusing similar numbered Asus AC or AX series with each other. VPN Fusion is a feature in the 388.x firmware that the RT-AC88U and other AC series routers do not support: https://asus.click/vpnfusionmodel
See the bottom of the link for the list of 388.x (and VPN Fusion) supported routers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!