RT-AC88u - connection issue

Scott Hunter

Occasional Visitor
Im Not sure when this started. But noticed it this week as im adding NODEs
So it a AC88u. latest stock firmware (nodes are Ac86u /Ac68U) was not installed prior to hurricane. Ran just the 88u.
Using Home Assistant
Tasmota flashed switches( Martin Jerry and Treatlife)

A. Issue.. Switches connect and i see them in router but have trouble when going to the main page(ip address) sometimes loads and sometimes don't.
B. While in the ASUS router page looking at connected clients , The router will shortly show none connected (even wired) then 2 sec later show connections. Some times showing all 25 connection and sometimes only coming back with 10-15 connected.
C. AC88U full reset using WPS button. Then again after loaded doing a reset in the main menu. Used New SSID and Password. New Login info. Stock settings.

Not sure when started as Once I originally set all switches up no need to visit their ip page. And i never would log into router and watch the screen.

1. Recent events that may have caused issue. A direct hit from Hurricane IDA. Power out for 13 days. Each of those days i ran a generator powering some switches. That meant power droped 2 times a day to cool down and fuel generator.
2. I would have thought the switches but I did full reset on them then re-set them up.
3. Not all switches are doing it. I have about 2 that seam to have no issues.

Ive had a AC88u replaced once and this is the replacement about 1-2 years old. Its had the dreaded no wifi connection. As i type this first log-in to router had 15 clients. Now 8 clients. Included hard wired.(4)

Its Odd. Also after reset of router i wated almost 1 hour before adding Nodes. Then another 15-30 mins before any wifi devices.

Im gonna attach the log. From the 16th to current time

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    81.7 KB · Views: 26

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Are you using ports 5-8 on the router? If you are, then test without using those ports.

Scott Hunter

Occasional Visitor
Are you using ports 5-8 on the router? If you are, then test without using those ports.
I was. Since creating thread I removed all nodes. And only using port 1-4. May I ask why 5-8 matters ? I haven't been home long since changing but I'm trying to monitor activity.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Ports 5-8 are on an add-on (internal) switch and are known to be flakey.

Thank you. I hope you find something useful too that helps your situation. :)

Scott Hunter

Occasional Visitor
Ports 5-8 are on an add-on (internal) switch and are known to be flakey.

Thank you. I hope you find something useful too that helps your situation. :)
Wow. So far so good. Just got all switches (tasmota ) reset and hooked back to wifi. (No nodes) at first.
Fired up each node(backhauled wired) and wired preferred.
****With the kicker from you about not using 5-8 all seams well. Pretty sure that was the reason. Will check logs in morning /tomorrow but may be good.

Can i go from main to node 1 wired- then node 1- node 2 wired? So I can have less wired on one router? Keep the main at 4 only.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Yes, if the node you're attaching a second node to is also using wired backhaul, that should work fine.

Glad this is working well for you (so far). :)

Don't forget you can add a (cheap) 5-port or an 8-port switch too to the router and use ports 1 & 2 for the wired backhaul, and ports 3 & 4 with any wired devices you may need to directly attach to the router too.

Router P1 - Switch 1 - Wired Backhaul for AiMesh nodes.

Router P2 - Switch 2 - Wired Backhaul for additional AiMesh nodes (if needed).

Router P3 - Switch 3 (optional) - For directly attached Wired client devices (NAS, PC's, Consoles, etc.).

Router P4 - Switch 4 (optional) - For additional Wired client devices (that cannot be attached directly to the main router, any of the wired nodes, etc.).

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!