What's new

RT-AC88U CPU Temperature..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JemTheWire

Forgive me, this is the first time I have used Merlin's firmware and I have a concern regarding my CPU temperature.

I don't have any external devices attached to my router and is not pushed/under strain, yet my CPU temperature as reported by the firmware, is 77C.

It seems a bit high. The router is sat on a desk, on it's own with nothing around it radiating heat.

Do you think I should consider some form of cooling? As the router is very expensive, and is by far the best I have ever used, I want it to last as long a possible.

Using Merlin 380.58

Thanks.

I did search and even clicked that link for the $9 fan.

I will do some more research. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ok. Even though my router worked fine at 80C, I did strip it and put top quality thermal paste on the heatsinks and used 2 small fans as laid out in the link. All quite unnecessary, but I'd do the same again; after all, if we weren't tinkerers, we wouldn't be coming to this forum. There's a lot of good stuff in that $9-fan topic. Good luck.

Last edited:
Didn't want to open new topic, so I will post here.

I replaced thermal pads under CPU & memory, 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz chip. On CPU is Fujipoly 17w/mk 1mm, on memory and 2.4 and 5Ghz chips are Gelid Extreme 12w/mk 3mm. Under the heatsinks I put fujipoly 1mm on top of 2.4 and 5 Ghz chips, and gelid extreme 80x1,5x1mm, and under cpu and memory heatsink I also put gelid extreme 80x1,5x1mm.

Here are results

After

9pYXjTO.jpg

Before

y3gueKF.jpg

Last edited: