1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC88U No Modem Connection

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by FuzzyG, Feb 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. FuzzyG

FuzzyG New Around Here

This is copied from the Reddit post I made earlier.

I have rebooted and unplugged/replugged the modem and router. I have swapped ethernet cables, and that's not the issue. I factory reset my router. I downloaded the latest firmware from Asuswrt Merlin. Nothing's working. My router keeps saying there's no connection to the modem. Direct connection to the modem works, so the modem isn't the issue.

I am not really very networking savvy, but I know how to set up networks and monitor them. I just don't get how it would suddenly lose the ability to connect to my modem. Nothing changed, and it's worked great for over a year. Thanks in advance.

2. roguetr

roguetr Regular Contributor

Sounds like the port is dead. Have you tested the WAN port connecting to something other than the modem?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

3. FuzzyG

FuzzyG New Around Here

Sorry, like I said, I'm not very networking savvy. What else could I connect to the WAN port?

4. EmeraldDeer

EmeraldDeer Very Senior Member

What happens if you change Network Monitoring from DNS Query to Ping 1.1.1.1?

5. roguetr

roguetr Regular Contributor

Just to clarify, have you checked link state when connected to the router in the tools section? From what you've said it's hard to determine if you're not getting link or you're just not getting internet. I'm not sure if you're bridged and using a ppoe client or your obtaining a dhcp address from the modem etc

Assuming the simplest scenario and your just not getting link, plugging the WAN port into a laptop or PC and seeing if the connection is detected would be the quickest way.

If it's detected and you want to go one step further, you could enable internet connection sharing in windows (don't know the Mac equivalent) and see if the router can obtain an IP.

Make sure you're checking the system logs on the router for any anomalies or information on what you're try to get working.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk