What's new

RT-AC88U NTP sync issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Astomono

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I'm having trouble with NTP syncing on my router causing DNS-TLS to not work unless restaring ntpd. I'm running Diversion, Skynet, ntpMerlin, scMerlin and Disk check script.

Upon rebooting the router i look at the log created by Disc check and it states: NTP timeout (100s) reached, date is router default.

I've tried reading the forums and added service restart_ntpd to init-start and executing via chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/init-start. (New to this stuff)

I've had a look at cat /etc/resolv.conf and it comes up with my ISP's DNS even though i have DNS-TLS setup in the WAN section so i'm sorta wondering what i'm doing wrong.

Try setting the WAN DNS options to not automatic and use 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 instead. Reboot the router. Is it fixed?

If not, do you have the Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No) set to No? :)

Do you have DNSFilter set to On and Router for global? :)

I've changed the WAN DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, rebooted and am now 10 mins in since the reboot. NTP still hasnt set as my queries are not encrypted (looked via tcpdump).
Use local caching DNS server as system resolver is on default (No).
DNSFilter was set to On an Router for global yes. :)

In AMTM:
! Module diversion.mod download failed
! using fallback server diversion.ch
! Module diversion.mod download failed
! Module entware.mod download failed

and NTP timeout (100s) reached, date is router default
Sat May 5 06:07:08

I would put something in wan-event to ensure the WAN is available before restarting ntp.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ "$2" = "connected" && "$(nvram get ntp_ready)" != "1" ]; then
  nslookup $(nvram get ntp_server0) | logger -t "ntp-check"
  nslookup $(nvram get ntp_server1) | logger -t "ntp-check"
  service restart_ntpd
fi
Edit: added nslookup of NTP servers to syslog

Last edited:
I would put something in wan-event to ensure the WAN is available before restarting ntp.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

service restart_ntpd
fi

Thanks! That seems to have fixed it :D

Should i still keep
service restart_ntpd in init-start too?

Code:
#!/bin/sh

service restart_ntpd
fi
I'll swap to this but not planning any reboots at the moment (wife won't be happy :p)

Not to be cheeky but how would i go about removing/disabling the chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/init-start script i had created? :)

I added a DNS check to my script snippet above.
Not to be cheeky but how would i go about removing/disabling the chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/init-start script i had created? :)
Code:
rm /jffs/scripts/init-start