What's new

RT-AC88U Power LED and 2.4ghz LED stuck on after reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ondafly

New Around Here
Hi,

Recently installed Merlin's latest firmware on my RT-AC88U. I factory reset the router first, then installed the firmware via the gui. Once installed it stated Firmware upgrade is done. Please reboot RT-AC88U

I pulled the power and reconnected it. The router now shows only the Power LED and 2.4GHZ LED on. Every couple of minutes, they will blink and the IE style LED will blink briefly. I also setup a constant ping to 192.168.1.1 (static IP of 192.168.1.2 on my desktop) and I can see the odd succesful packet but they might be minutes apart and obviously no response on the browser.

I left the router powered off and unplugged for over 24 hours and still same result.

Any suggestions ?

You suppose to factory reset AFTER the firmware flash not before. Try a complete factory reset and reconfigure and then try it.

Hi,

Recently installed Merlin's latest firmware on my RT-AC88U. I factory reset the router first, then installed the firmware via the gui. Once installed it stated Firmware upgrade is done. Please reboot RT-AC88U

I pulled the power and reconnected it. The router now shows only the Power LED and 2.4GHZ LED on. Every couple of minutes, they will blink and the IE style LED will blink briefly. I also setup a constant ping to 192.168.1.1 (static IP of 192.168.1.2 on my desktop) and I can see the odd succesful packet but they might be minutes apart and obviously no response on the browser.

I left the router powered off and unplugged for over 24 hours and still same result.

Any suggestions ?

Are you sure it wanted you to pull the power or just wait for the router to finish the firmware upload and reboot on its own? I find that waiting is the best policy. I would think the firmware upload process would be designed to reboot on its on and take the user to the router webUI Quick Setup page. You may have crashed the router at the wrong time.

OE

so update to this : left router off for 2 days, then powered it on, and miracouusly it loaded up. I was presented with latest Merlin firmware installed. I copied down the syslog from it and then rebooted from the gui.

This resulted in the router reverting to same with use power led and 2.4ghz led on. I was able to get it to display the mini webpage, where I proceeded to upload the oldest firmware I could get from the asus site. (3.0.0.4.384_21045) - it stated it was completed and rebooting. But you guessed it, when it came back , it had the same issue again. power led on, 2.4ghz on. non responsive. I left it powered off for a further two days, until just now.

Powered it on, and it boots. straight into gui and reports 3.0.0.4.384_21045 as the current version. I select the initialize option in the gui. It counts up to 100% and returns "complete" but since then is again same unresponsive self.

Any suggestions before I bin this ?

so update to this : left router off for 2 days, then powered it on, and miracouusly it loaded up. I was presented with latest Merlin firmware installed. I copied down the syslog from it and then rebooted from the gui.

This resulted in the router reverting to same with use power led and 2.4ghz led on. I was able to get it to display the mini webpage, where I proceeded to upload the oldest firmware I could get from the asus site. (3.0.0.4.384_21045) - it stated it was completed and rebooting. But you guessed it, when it came back , it had the same issue again. power led on, 2.4ghz on. non responsive. I left it powered off for a further two days, until just now.

Powered it on, and it boots. straight into gui and reports 3.0.0.4.384_21045 as the current version. I select the initialize option in the gui. It counts up to 100% and returns "complete" but since then is again same unresponsive self.

Any suggestions before I bin this ?

If it comes up again, I would re-flash it with a MD5 verified stock firmware file and let it reboot on its own.

OE

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power LED light starts flashing.
5. Power light stops flashing and the router will automatically reboot.

Same thing happened with my ASUS RT-AC5300. Followed the above ASUS router Hard Factory Reset method and it is working fine now. Good Luck.

Hey, sorry for bumping an old post but my router Ax92u is having the exact same problem, it will just show the Power Led and 2.5Gz Led constantly with the power led blinking from time to time. When I leave it off for a day or 2 it turns back on, and works until it gets restarted. I did make another thread but did not get a satisfying answer. @ondafly were you able to solve the problem?

Hey, sorry for bumping an old post but my router Ax92u is having the exact same problem, it will just show the Power Led and 2.5Gz Led constantly with the power led blinking from time to time. When I leave it off for a day or 2 it turns back on, and works until it gets restarted. I did make another thread but did not get a satisfying answer. @ondafly were you able to solve the problem?
I had a similar problem this week with an AC3100 but mine had the Power LED and 5GHZ lights lit. Everytime I rebooted it, it would go back into this locked state. The only way to get out was to reset it with the WPS button trick but once I rebooted- locked again. I tried rolling back one OEM firmware revision and it did the same thing. I ended up flashing to the latest Merlin firmware (had never done this before) and it seems to have solved it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!