1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC88u Ring doorbell

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Dfp, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Dfp

Dfp Occasional Visitor

I have the RT-AC88u,

Trying to get it to work with a Ring Video Doorbell. Doorbell works fine on a billion and sagemcomm device without no modifications to ports etc.

On the Asus Router it barely gets a connection and wont send video and very choppy audio.

All firewall settings are off its running NAT.

Cant see it getting blocked in the system log file.

Have tried forward dmz to the device - same results.

Any ideas at all how to try and get it to work?

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

How is the ring video doorbell connected? If wirelessly, try creating a new ssid, use a new channel (not Auto) or doing a full reset to factory defaults to the router and then manually and minimally configuring it (do not use a saved config file).

4. Dfp

Dfp Occasional Visitor

Thanks it is pretty much a fresh router, have tried it on a different wap i used to use which was fine so not wireless. It has something to do with routing.,

5. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Ring Doorbell is a cloud/IoT kind of thing - not sure how well it plays with GrabNGrope (PlugNPlay), but perhaps contact Ring to see what ports they need open and manually map them out...

I wouldn't put it into the DMZ, as this likely will confuse it ;)

6. Dfp

Dfp Occasional Visitor

Yeah there is a ring page on ports https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/a...in-my-firewall-for-Ring-Doorbells-and-Chimes-

I did put them in port forwarding - but one is a huge UDP range which is hard to forward so skipped that range

Have just tried factory reset it doesnt work out of the box either.

I am assuming it must use UPNP normally as it works with other brand routers fine....UPNP is enabled on the asus

7. mteicher

mteicher Regular Contributor

Hello,

I have the ring doorbell and it works just fine on 87U. Only real issue I have is motion detection is to sensitive.
    For me the video is not choppy and the sound is decent.
    You might wish to call them as there are some settings only they can adjust.
    I would be curios how things go.

Is yours using the battery or hardwired?

Michael...

8. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

So is the video choppy on the LAN/WLAN, or just when you're off-site, not away from home?

9. Dfp

Dfp Occasional Visitor

Both, i only literally get 1 frame of video for an entire ring in their cloud.

Had emailed ring previously and they made changes but are claiming it is wifi issues....even though i connect a separate WAP which works on another router fine. Defintely a routing issue of some description.

10. mteicher

My setup is pretty basic less MAC filtering. If you would like to compare settings let me know. I dont know why you think is a routing issue. Sounds to me like a wifi signal issue. How far is the doorbell from the router and what kinds of material are the walls etc that might impair signal strength to the router?

What kind of cell phone? On the cell phone standing next to the doorbell, make a wifi connection to your router and see whats the signal strength. Or are you using your data plan for this?

Michael...

11. Dfp

Dfp Occasional Visitor

At the moment the ring doorbell is about 20cm from the router for testing, so full signal with nothing in between

12. mteicher

And with your testing you still get lag and 1 frame?

13. Dfp

Dfp Occasional Visitor

Yep only 1 frame per call, if im lucky 2. If i swap out the asus router with a sagemcomm it works immediately with HD video and good audio. The sagemcomm is also on factory defaults

14. mteicher

Interesting. And the settings on both routers are basically identical?

Have you reset the doorbell? Its been awhile but is there not a yellow button on the back?

15. Dfp

Dfp Occasional Visitor

Yeah pretty much as identical as i can make them. I suspect the asus router isnt doing upnp properly but had already tried forwarding ports

16. mteicher

Why bother with UPNP and port forwarding for this. I think you might be making it to complex for its simple task.

17. Dfp

Dfp Occasional Visitor

Same results with port forwarding and upnp disabled though

18. mteicher

Have you looked at the signal strength on the router for the ring? On mine it comes and goes but let me see if I can capture it...

19. Dfp

Dfp Occasional Visitor

im not sure how to handle that port range in forwarding though see attachment [​IMG]

20. Dfp

Dfp Occasional Visitor

Yeah full signal on the ring in setup

21. mteicher

I mean on the router under system log, wireless log. What is tx and rx for it?

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!