What's new

RT-AC88u Ring doorbell

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dfp

Occasional Visitor
I have the RT-AC88u,

Trying to get it to work with a Ring Video Doorbell. Doorbell works fine on a billion and sagemcomm device without no modifications to ports etc.

On the Asus Router it barely gets a connection and wont send video and very choppy audio.

All firewall settings are off its running NAT.

Cant see it getting blocked in the system log file.

Have tried forward dmz to the device - same results.

Any ideas at all how to try and get it to work?

How is the ring video doorbell connected? If wirelessly, try creating a new ssid, use a new channel (not Auto) or doing a full reset to factory defaults to the router and then manually and minimally configuring it (do not use a saved config file).

How is the ring video doorbell connected? If wirelessly, try creating a new ssid, use a new channel (not Auto) or doing a full reset to factory defaults to the router and then manually and minimally configuring it (do not use a saved config file).

Thanks it is pretty much a fresh router, have tried it on a different wap i used to use which was fine so not wireless. It has something to do with routing.,

Ring Doorbell is a cloud/IoT kind of thing - not sure how well it plays with GrabNGrope (PlugNPlay), but perhaps contact Ring to see what ports they need open and manually map them out...

I wouldn't put it into the DMZ, as this likely will confuse it ;)

Ring Doorbell is a cloud/IoT kind of thing - not sure how well it plays with GrabNGrope (PlugNPlay), but perhaps contact Ring to see what ports they need open and manually map them out...

I wouldn't put it into the DMZ, as this likely will confuse it ;)

Yeah there is a ring page on ports https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/a...in-my-firewall-for-Ring-Doorbells-and-Chimes-

I did put them in port forwarding - but one is a huge UDP range which is hard to forward so skipped that range

Have just tried factory reset it doesnt work out of the box either.

I am assuming it must use UPNP normally as it works with other brand routers fine....UPNP is enabled on the asus

Hello,

I have the ring doorbell and it works just fine on 87U. Only real issue I have is motion detection is to sensitive.
For me the video is not choppy and the sound is decent.
You might wish to call them as there are some settings only they can adjust.
I would be curios how things go.

Is yours using the battery or hardwired?

Michael...

I am assuming it must use UPNP normally as it works with other brand routers fine....UPNP is enabled on the asus

So is the video choppy on the LAN/WLAN, or just when you're off-site, not away from home?

So is the video choppy on the LAN/WLAN, or just when you're off-site, not away from home?

Both, i only literally get 1 frame of video for an entire ring in their cloud.

Had emailed ring previously and they made changes but are claiming it is wifi issues....even though i connect a separate WAP which works on another router fine. Defintely a routing issue of some description.

Both, i only literally get 1 frame of video for an entire ring in their cloud.

Had emailed ring previously and they made changes but are claiming it is wifi issues....even though i connect a separate WAP which works on another router fine. Defintely a routing issue of some description.

My setup is pretty basic less MAC filtering. If you would like to compare settings let me know. I dont know why you think is a routing issue. Sounds to me like a wifi signal issue. How far is the doorbell from the router and what kinds of material are the walls etc that might impair signal strength to the router?

What kind of cell phone? On the cell phone standing next to the doorbell, make a wifi connection to your router and see whats the signal strength. Or are you using your data plan for this?

Michael...

My setup is pretty basic less MAC filtering. If you would like to compare settings let me know. I dont know why you think is a routing issue. Sounds to me like a wifi signal issue. How far is the doorbell from the router and what kinds of material are the walls etc that might impair signal strength to the router?

Michael...

At the moment the ring doorbell is about 20cm from the router for testing, so full signal with nothing in between

And with your testing you still get lag and 1 frame?
Yep only 1 frame per call, if im lucky 2. If i swap out the asus router with a sagemcomm it works immediately with HD video and good audio. The sagemcomm is also on factory defaults

Interesting. And the settings on both routers are basically identical?

Have you reset the doorbell? Its been awhile but is there not a yellow button on the back?

Interesting. And the settings on both routers are basically identical?

Yeah pretty much as identical as i can make them. I suspect the asus router isnt doing upnp properly but had already tried forwarding ports

Why bother with UPNP and port forwarding for this. I think you might be making it to complex for its simple task.

Have you looked at the signal strength on the router for the ring? On mine it comes and goes but let me see if I can capture it...

im not sure how to handle that port range in forwarding though see attachment
capturewifi.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!