What's new

(RT-AC88U) What to do when the router reaches EOL?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Citizen93d

New Around Here
The last update for my RT-AC88U was released - I believe - in March 2022, while Merlin's version was updated in July. I can't find this model on their list of EOL devices (is it still supported?), but I'm worried about a lack of security updates.

I see that the RT-AC88U is supported by OpenWRT and was considering installing it. I only use it as a router/firewall, so losing some of the fancy functionality (eg: mesh) wouldn't be a problem.

What do you recommend doing in this case?

Thanks

What do you recommend doing in this case?

If the router is covering your needs just continue using it with the latest available firmware. Nothing bad is going to happen to you. It will get at least one more firmware update in Jan-Feb 2023. There is Asuswrt-Merlin 386.9 alpha firmware in the works based on newer not yet released Asus 50527 code.

If the router is covering your needs just continue using it with the latest available firmware. Nothing bad is going to happen to you. It will get at least one more firmware update in Jan-Feb 2023. There is Asuswrt-Merlin 386.9 alpha firmware in the works based on newer not yet released Asus 50527 code.

Thanks for your reply.

Okay, then it's not EOL yet and we'll get an update "soon". I'll wait.

My concern is the security of the router. I don't want to login one day and see the CPU at 100% because it's part of some botnet (or something like that). There's no need for me to be in that position when an alternative firmware is available.

My concern is the security of the router.

It may happen on a firmware released yesterday - no guarantees. Just don't stress out too much and continue using your router. Safe enough for home Internet use. If you have serious security concerns and you run a law or doctors office - your equipment is a wrong type to begin with.

I would suggest to try FreshTomato 1st

Not yet. RT-AC88U is not an EoL model. It will get new Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin update.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!