What's new

RT-AC88U wireless issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Patrick

New Around Here
Hi, I've seen a lot of posts regarding wireless issues and wonder whether anyone can help?

I have a RT-AC88U with a mix of Apple iPhone, Samsung Phones, LG TVs & PCs. When connected to BTHomeHub all connections are solid and connect at full speed, download tests near to homehub sync speed - rock solid and has been for years.
I'm trying Merlin firmware as I need a way to control certain devices through VPN and keep the TVs / iPhones to ISP only (due to Neflix restrictions) so Merlin is ideal.

I've tried a few Merlin FM releases 384_18, 384_17 and downgraded to 384.14_2 but none of these maintain wireless for the LG TVs or iPhones. They can connect really slowly or not at all - tried a lot of different settings, disabled smart etc... beamforming and all the other suggestions I could find but no luck. Even PCs connected 144Mbps rather than the 800Mbps I've been getting on the homehub.

Today I've tried the official ASUS FM 3.0.0.4.385_20630 and so far the LG TVs have been rock solid, PCs are connecting at similar speeds to previous homehub and i've not changed anything other than keeping the bands separated.

Can anyone please point me to a solution - doing my head in and tried pretty much anything I could think of/find on here. Or is it a case of waiting for the firmware to be included in Merlin? Many thanks.

Did you have any electrical devices place near router at that time? like UPS or speaker.

It seems an ASUS firmware issue. I cannot find the thread I saw yesterday but downgraded to Merlin 384.13 and all appears solid over the last 24 hours or so. Will continue testing and update here.