What's new

RT-AC88U Won't install latest Merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

railroader66

Occasional Visitor
This is what I receive when I try to install the latest version.

Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.

It's Asus new validation. I think you will need to flash via firmware recovery for it to work now.

Merlin said this > They probably implemented device validation similar to what they did for the RT-AC68U, however I have no idea what that validation is since there is no GPL code available for this latest version. You will have to use Firmware Recovery mode to flash it.

You can also use the 384.16_1 test build available here:

http://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/test-builds

It contains an updated header that resolves the upgrade issue when you are running the latest stock firmware on that model.

The issue turns out to be a bug in the upgrade code rather than an enforced version check. It was the reason why the RT-AC68U was bumped to 385_xxxxx by Asus a few months ago.

You can also use the 384.16_1 test build available here:

http://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/test-builds

It contains an updated header that resolves the upgrade issue when you are running the latest stock firmware on that model.

The issue turns out to be a bug in the upgrade code rather than an enforced version check. It was the reason why the RT-AC68U was bumped to 385_xxxxx by Asus a few months ago.
Thanks , that was the solution , now it works again.

@Bill W now, does the 384.17 Beta 1 load properly too?

@L&LD actually I just tried the 384.17 Beta 1 and it would not load on the most recent Asus Firmware, I just installed this RT-AC88U today and it automatically updated to the latest firmware before I could flash it. I had to buy this cause it was a steal on Amazon because the corner of the box was dented the listed it for $145 with Prime, now using my other as extender.

So here is what I did to get the latest stable version to flash, I downgraded the factory firmware from the current version to https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC88U/FW_RT_AC88U_300438481116.zip and then did a factory reset, configured my user name and password and then skipped the automatic upgrade and just went in and flashed it and was good to go. Hope this helps. Thanks to all the suggestions. And @ColinTaylor thanks for the link to the firmware.

Grab 16_beta3 from https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC88U/Beta/ that worked for me after I did what you just did.
Thanks Bill, I was able to just install the most stable Merlin after downgrading from the most recent Asus firmware. Now to tweak my settings for Gigablast...any one have any suggestions for the best settings? I just got Gigablast and was only getting about 450-500 on my RT-AC68R and when I saw this on sale I could pass it up.

That makes no sense, since 384.17 is actually the version that has the new compatible header, while 384.16 betas did not (and it was reported during the beta cycle that it was failing to flash). Please double check the versions of the firmwares you tried to flash.

The same header that fixed things with the 384.16_1 test build somehow fails now with 384.17. That... makes no sense.

EDIT: Found it. There was another enforced version that was older, and which was overriding the new one.

Last edited:
I uploaded a new build with the correct header. This new build is not zipped (to distinguish it from the previous one).

Important: switching from 384_81790 will require a factory default reset afterward, unless you had key-based SSH access, which would allow you to get in, and set http_passwd back to a non-encrypted password. This is because this new Asus release now encrypts the admin password, so when going to my firmware which did not implement it yet (or when going back to an older stock firmware), your password will no longer be recognized.

Good evening to all.
I've an old RT-N16 which i would like to use on my second residence to give internet to the house via usb tethering (Android Phone).
It works great with Asus Stock Firmware, but I am considering moving to Asus Wrt Merlin, and as I have upgrade firmware to last version available on Asus Website I'm getting the message of the topic
(
Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.
)
It is possible to move to Asus Merlin not using the Recovery Mode? I haven't been successful trying to.
P.S.: I know it's a very old router, but it works great and I use it only a few weeks per year.
Thanks in advance.

Good evening to all.
I've an old RT-N16 which i would like to use on my second residence to give internet to the house via usb tethering (Android Phone).
It works great with Asus Stock Firmware, but I am considering moving to Asus Wrt Merlin, and as I have upgrade firmware to last version available on Asus Website I'm getting the message of the topic
(
Invalid Firmware Upload
)
It is possible to move to Asus Merlin not using the Recovery Mode? I haven't been successful trying to.
P.S.: I know it's a very old router, but it works great and I use it only a few weeks per year.
Thanks in advance.
Are you sure you want to do this? Merlin hasn't produced a firmware for the RT-N16 for 7 years! The last Asus firmware was in 2017.

The most recent firmware would probably be John's fork of Merlin: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-lts-release-52e7.76314/

Last edited:
Well, in fact my plans are install on it Entware on USB drive so as to have an openvpn client. I have tried the same on stock firmware but I can't because jffs partition is read-only.
Can I do this on 380 version of stock firmware? (the one I have).
Thanks.

My thought is to connect my old RT-N16 who lives in my town by openvpn to my main router (Asus RT-AX86U), who lives in the city.
Sorry if I haven't been enoughly clear. It only will work a couple of weeks a year.
Thanks.