What's new

RT-AX 88U Pro Slow Upload Speeds on Merlin Until Reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mackid1993

Occasional Visitor
New to the forum but I've been running Asuswrt-merlin for many years. I recently upgraded to an AX88U Pro and am running into an issue where my upload speeds will slow from 200-300 mbps over ethernet (I have a symmetrical gigabit FIOS line) until I reboot the router. Then everything is quick again. I'm not sure what the issue could be. I had this happen on the latest stable 3004.388.5_0. I also flashed the beta, 3004.388.6-beta1 to no avail.

The only custom thing I'm running on it is the NextDNS client I installed over SSH. Could that be causing an issue perhaps? Thanks to anyone who could help!

Have you tried disabling the add-on to see of the issue goes away, then comes back when re-enabled later?

This may have been an ISP issue, I gave them a call and actually got something competent. They reset some stuff on their end and performance seems better now. I guess I'll know for sure tomorrow.

So still leaving the add-on disabled for the time being? Or are you going to test two things at once?

So still leaving the add-on disabled for the time being? Or are you going to test two things at once?
It happened again with the NextDNS add on disabled and after the call with Verizon. I'm giving a factory reset a try.

I'm starting to think this is an ISP issue and I just happened to get a new router at the same time. The built in speed test is iffy but some speed test sites are perfectly fast while others are slow. I'm starting to think Verizon is having a peering issue as I was also having difficulty with uploads to Dropbox unless I connected to a VPN. I guess it's just a coincidence that there is a backbone provider issue at the same time I buy a new router!

Thanks for your help. I swapped back to my AC-3100 and everything was normal. I think I have a defective unit. I'll be exchanging it at Micro Center tomorrow

I need to wear blinders going in that place. Too much temptation.

I suggest a deep reset of the router and try it again before you return it. It's possibly a hardware issue but it may just be in a funky config state, which I guess is more likely.

I need to wear blinders going in that place. Too much temptation.

I suggest a deep reset of the router and try it again before you return it. It's possibly a hardware issue but it may just be in a funky config state, which I guess is more likely.
That's the thing I think the ports are bad. I put it into rescue mode and tried to flash the factory firmware and it kept failing partially through.

If you've yet got the time, do a WPS button reset. That'll suffice to fully "mesh" the nvram with the firmware it's got loaded.

If you've yet got the time, do a WPS button reset. That'll suffice to fully "mesh" the nvram with the firmware it's got loaded.
If the new one does that I will, but I'm certain it's hardware given that I couldn't flash in rescue mode without the transfer failing.

Set up the new router, flashed over to Merlin and restored my config from the defective one. All good now. It was a hardware issue! If it were software it probably would have carried over with the config.

You're asking for more issues...

Perform a full reset to factory defaults and do not import any old backup config files.

Your call, but restoring settings from one router to another (even the same model) isn't recommended in the least.

While you think it's running fine, you just don't know what is not.

Your call, but restoring settings from one router to another (even the same model) isn't recommended in the least.

While you think it's running fine, you just don't know what is not.
Thanks for the advice, I just did a factory reset from the WebUI and reconfigured my settings. Fortunately I had everything documented so it wasn't too hard to get configured again.

Thank you everyone for your help here! The replacement router is working great. Per @L&LD I did a factory reset and reconfigured rather than using my config from the defective unit. I'm all good now. Thanks for being so helpful and friendly here.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!