What's new

RT-AX11000 + USB Primary WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sébastien GEOFFROY

Occasional Visitor
Hi team,

I wanted to know if we can use USB3.0 port (at rear) as primary WAN ? I've a 2 Gbps fiber chanel connection from my ISP.

1643138542076.png

Objective is to release WAN 2.5 G port for LAN use.
Sabrent or Asus (USB-C2500) adapters are not expensive and both of them are 2.5G compliant

Is that works ?
Same bandwidth, stability, latency & performance than connection on ethernet WAN port ?

1643138668062.png
1643138698716.png

Last edited:
The only issue I can see here is 2gbps isn't NBASE-T @ 2.5gbps and might downgrade to 1gbps. Now, if you were to run a 1gbps USB+ 1gbps Ethernet that gets you to 2gbps.

I use a 5GE 4 port card on my router and connect my AP @ 2.5GE just fine but, both sides have the ability to negotiate 2.5GE.

My ISP router have one 2.5G LAN port.

I was thinking about something like this below:

ISP router ---ETH to USB adapter (2.5G compliant) ---> Asus RTAX-11000 --- ETH / WiFi ---> LAN devices

My ISP router have one 2.5G LAN port
If that's the case then sure, you should be able to use the 2.5GE as the WAN..... but, can you convert the built in port to a LAN...

1643140985032.png

It seems most reviews I'm browsing through mention using the USB ports for 4G / LTE backup but, I don't see why you couldn't use the port for WAN. If the drop downs don't work from the GUI you should be able to hack it in the CLI to see the usb as the primary connection.

Now, as to using the 2.5 port on the LAN... do you want to dedicate it or plan on putting a switch on it to spread the love to other devices?

See these:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!